cross-platform networking

Harp

Raised by wolves
I have a Macbook Pro (intel with 10.4.7) and I'm trying to figure out a way to set up a wireless network (using a linksys) between my cpu and my roomate's IBM thinkpad (with XP - not sure of his specs offhand).

I've only been using mac for a few months now and I'm not even sure how to network macs. I'm assuming that it's possible cross-platform (for the purpose of filesharing) but I have no idea how.

any takers?

Are you able to connect to the wireless at all? If you go to System Preferences-->Network, then you'll be able to configure the Airport connection there. Remember that even though it's called "Airport," it's just an 802.11b/g connection which is standard on every 802.11b/g device, including the Linksys.

Also remember that you'll need to include any information, such as SSID and whatever encryption key you're using. You could use the settings on your roomate's laptop to configure the MacBook.

BTW, are you guys grabbing the IP addresses dynmically from the DHCP service on the Linksys, or are the computers configured manually with a static IP address?

am i also right in saying windows only likes WEP, so don't use WPA security? I know i've run into this a few times... but this might be old info...

That may have been true at some point, but isn't any longer (I've used WPA security with Windows XP SP2). The use of WPA really depends on whether the hard/firmware of the wireless card will support it. For example, the original Airport cards do not support WPA.

Back