CrossOver on Mac

jv4n

Registered
Anyone installed this yet? I'm planning to install Crossover to run Steam. Anyone tried this before?

I wouldn't expect CrossOver to be up to the task of running Steam. It is simply not what it is designed for.

I must say that I'm by far impressed with Crossover. I just tryed installing it and it worked however because I don't have an account, I can't see whether the network would work or not. You can always try it for yourself and download the demo.

Not too impressed with Crossover myself. Works for some things, like Internet Exploiter, but I definitely couldn't see it working for games. Especially not anything near today's games or those from five years back. Just too buggy and slow. I get much better speed from normal programs run in Parallels than I do with Crossover. Its a shame really, as I usually only need to run a few programs for checking web sites or minor other things. This had my hopes up.

If you're thinking of gaming, save your money and just install Bootcamp and a version of Windows. Maybe later on they can work the bugs and speed issues out, but for right now its just not worth it.

Crossover in its current form is a waste of time and money. You'll get better Windows experience with Parallels or Bootcamp. It's a shame I've already purchased a cross over license :(.

Crossover has done what it claimed to do. The problem is that it doesn't have the windows databases in it so that windows programs can run extremly well. The one program that I run however runs very well without a single bug and Crossover wasn't designed specially for that one program.

Bootcamp would be better however because, you would pretty much have a pc.

The problem with Crossover is that it tries to emulate the entire Windows API, which is no small feat. They will always be playing catch-up to Microsoft as the Windows API is constantly evolving. It is much better to just create a VM that allows you to install an actual copy of MS Windows (a la Parallels) or install Windows on a separate partition. That way, you won't be playing catch-up and will be able to run all your Windows programs perfectly.

Back