Curious about some icons I saw when resarting

speedfreak

Registered
Today I installed the security update and had to restart my iBook for the first time in about two weeks. Well I saw these strange (to me) icons when the iBook was rebooting. I have to describe them because I was unable to capture them.
The first one was a white square in the middle of the display with a planet in the middle of it. Just a static image about the size of an avatar. I got to look at that for about a minute.
The second one was a folder in the style of an OS9 folder. The front of the folder alternated betweeen displaying a finder icon (the two faces) and a question mark. I got to look at that for about two minutes.
Then i got the normal Apple with the spedo spin thing (is there a name for that thing?)
The iBook took forever to boot up. All seems okay.

Does anyone know what these "icons" mean? What was happening? Should I be worried?

im not sure what the first icon was, it sounds like it had something to do with netboot, maybe the second icon indicated that the system couldnt find a bootloader? but that would probably be a disk w/ the question mark...

The first probably meant that the iBook was scanning for a Netboot server, dunno why, but it usually searches for about a minute, and what you described would fit. The second icon probably meant that the iBook couldn't find a bootable System folder.

and after today's security update, my pb 17" was acting weird, restart as usual but when it went to the desktop, the top part of the screen where the time, bluetooth and wifi icons are, are all transparent
weird update
must be buggy

The "planet" icon means that your Startup Disk in System Preferences is set for "NetBoot." The other icon (OS 9 style folder with question mark) was your system searching for a valid startup disk, since it didn't find a NetBoot image to boot from. Just open the System Preferences and click Startup Disk and set the selection back to your OS X hard drive.

I get the 'clear toolbar' thing at the top of the screen sometimes, usually when I'm hammering the graphics card and resizing windows all at once - it comes back after a minute or two though, so maybe yours is just taking longer wolwol?

Back