Custom External HDD

rmeaux

WoW MoM
I built a box (Will post pics later) and I am putting 3 to 5 WD 500GB SATA HD's in it. Speed not an issue.

1 = Time Machine
2 = Time Machine Backup
3 = Files / Misc.
4 = Files / Misc. Backup
5 = ??????

or

1 = Time Machine
2 = Files / Misc.
3 = Files / Misc. Backup

The drives will be SATA or Sata II. I was going to purchase a 1 into 5 port SATA Hub and convert it to one USB 2.0 Cable. (Speed not an issue.) Or get 3 to 5 SATA to USB converter dongles and plug them into a USB Hub. Then again run one USB wire to the machine.

With speed not an issue i know both routes can be done but question I have are:

With the USB Hub route will it work with the Airport Extreme Time Machine Fix where i can see all drives?

I know the SATA Hub will allow me to do different RAID Setups but would there be a way for this to be done with the USB Dongles to a USB Hub

Any input would be greatly appreciated. To prevent un needed post I am not purchasing a ready made SATA RAID box or a NAS so please don't offer. I want to use the box i made and access these drives.

Anty info is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do here, but:
The AirPort supports multiple drives, so if you have multiple drives connected, they will show up as network volumes on your mac. Because the "hack" enables network volumes, it should work.

You know this, but USB is slow, and the Airport's handling of USB drives is even slower.

Well I built a sweet looking custom wood box with a 500 watt powersupply and I am putting these drives in it. I want it this way so I can put it next to my airport in my network closet or I can grab it(has a handle) and take it on the road or bring to another room in the house and connect it directly to my imac or macbook.

Was just curious if I can access multiple drives through airport and choose which one I want for misc files and which one I want for time machine. I will manually mirror each backup drive to their respectable backup drive.

Sounds very redundent, but I've been in a hard place one to many times and I am just saving my butt by backing up my backup.

And the new airport firmware unlocks airdisk; it is no longer a "hack". Correct me if I am wrong but that is what I've been reading. Thanks Again!!

One more quick catchup question. I understand you said airport understands multiple drives, might sound stupid but this is through a USB Hub correct?

Back