Defective Hardware?

Perishingflames

Registered
Hi,

Usually when playing an online game called "Marble Blast Online" (via instantaction.com) my mac will lockup and go to a solid black screen. The computer will not respond to any keys pressed, front row remote, mouse, basically anything. The only way to get out is to hold down the power button on the back of the mac to force shut down the computer.

I've spoken to the game developers, and they say that it is probably defective hardware because all the other mac users seem to be able to play the game fine.

If this is so, which hardware do you think it would be? Something serious such as the motherboard, or simply a video card? How could I go about getting this fixed or replaced- take it to the genius bar?

Thanks.

most likely its a video card problem. What is the system requirements of the game?and what is the specification of your mac?please post the info so we can advise you better

Well, one thing that confuses me is that the game works perfect when I play it on my mac booted in windows (boot camp created partition).

Anyways, my graphics card is ATI Radeon X1600 128MB, and I have 1 GB regular ram. I know the regular ram fits the requirements, but not sure about graphics card because the site doesn't have specific mac system requirements posted.

One more thing- If I ever want to replace my graphics card, can that even be done? I've seen around that it's built into the motherboard.

Last edited:
well it depends, what kind of mac do u own?if its a Mac Pro then its a yes its the video card on a mac pro is customizable.

Ok so since its an online game, do have any browser-specific requirement?every browsers are in different in they're own way. So if your using IE on your bootcamp and Safari in mac. The plugins and flash players may not be present. Suggestions:
1. Reset safari on a mac
2. Quit safari and move the ~/Library/preferences/com.apple.safari.plist to the desktop and relaunch your safari
3. try playing it again.

if the above fix fails, try another browser like firefox or camino.

Back