deleting locked files

mala b

Registered
Hi
I tried to empty my trash and it says "xxxx" is a locked file and cannot be deleted.

How do I find this file and delete it. Until I do this I cannot empty the other contents in my trash
thanks
Mala b

A locked file can usually be removed by holding the Option key down when you choose to empty the trash. A locked item in the trash should not prevent other items from being emptied.

Just tried it. Keep getting the message. What am I doing wrong?? I go to the trash and select empty trash, and the messge pops up for many files (I am trying to delete a microsoft proram and it is the source of these locked files...)

Probably the simplest way (that I know) would be get info on the locked file, Command-I and make sure it is unlocked. See image.
lockedfileinfo-20070308-180131.jpg

Take the file out of the trash.

Open the Terminal Application (in Utilities folder) and type:

cd ~/.Trash
hit return

then type;

sudo rm -rf

put a space after the f and drag the item you want deleted to the terminal so that its path is automatically entered, then press return

give it your admin password and hit return

Hi
I tried to empty my trash and it says "xxxx" is a locked file and cannot be deleted.

How do I find this file and delete it. Until I do this I cannot empty the other contents in my trash
thanks
Mala b

Most likely this happens when the file is not COMPLETELY locked, but partially. Solving this is done by making the file locked (eventually afterwards making it unlocked). How to do so, see the reply of onslaught. Unlocking is not necessary, locking it in general oke (when using command empty trash).

Good luck, Kees

Thanks for all the ideas. I had >200 files in the trash, so couldn't tell which one(s) cotained the "problem(s)", so I put all the trash files into a new folder in the desktop and then performed the operation via the terminal application-- Worked like a charm!

Thanks,
Mala b

Back