DHCP not working

anykey

Registered
DHCP used to work on our eMacs - now it doesn't! As a work round I've reset to static IP addresses for now, but would like to go back to DHCP if possible. From web searches, it seems there are 'issues' with the Apple DHCP client, but haven't seen reports of anything this drastic. PCs (Win XP & 2K) in other areas of the network are still getting DHCP OK. When I get a moment I may move a PC onto same switch the Macs are on to confirm it isn't something odd on that switch ...

So, are all the macs on one switch and pc's on the other? because if thats the case, then it could definitly cause an issue.

I've had one network where everything worked if the computer was set to DHCP but if you statically set it then it wouldn't, even though I set it to the right settings. If I set the IP address statically with the IP that was just assigned by the dhcp server, then it would work until the IP addresses lease was up. Also, the IP address wouldn't renew after the lease was up even if it was set to DHCP. Wierd eh? Issue was with the canopy. might that be it?

Would there happen to be any computer on the switch that does happen to work?

What sort of DHCP server do you have?

While it is technically possible that could cause an issue, I've never heard of a case where that has happend. I've used FreeBSD, Windows, and Linux DHCP servers and they all work with my MBP, iMac and a few Windows XP Machines. If I'm not mistaken, that is because all of the DHCP servers use standard TCP/IP protocols.

they are all using TCP/IP protocols, right anykey?

While it is technically that could cause an issue, I've never heard of a case where that has happend.
You're right. But a couple of years ago I had some very weird network problems which were caused, I discovered after much hair pulling, by having two active servers! After I shut one down, everything returned to normal.

Ya, DHCP server conflicts could cause an issue. I'vehad that before, and your right, it is quite frusterating.

The one more possible solution is whether the DCHP server has mac filtering. It's a bit farther fetched then the rest, but I would hate to look over that and then find ou that it was the original problem.

When your IP address is set by the DHCP server, do you get an IP and the internet doesn't work? or no ip and no internet?

Back