DID you subscribe to .Mac ?

DID you subscribe to .Mac ?

• Yes, I'm .Mac'ed

• No, but I will...

• Never !

Results are only viewable after voting.
I still have serval things that I would concern before I join .Mac...

1. I saw that there would be a free email-only account for existing user...?

2. If there is not free email-only account, I will join... But I have 3 email accounts at the moment... I saw that I can add up to 10 email-only accounts.... So, how do I convert my other 2 email accounts?

If I have the final answers for everything, I will go for it!

I don't need all that crap. Especially not for $100 per year. Since I have my own domain name anyway, I'll just change it to forward to my ISP email instead of mac.com.

I'm disappointed that I no longer have a small free iDisk and Home Page capability. That was a perk to owning a Mac. Now it's not. It's just another pay service (and a very expensive one at that).

-Rob

I am not paying to have 'mac' written at the end of my e-mail. My ISP has a fine e-mail system, thanks Steve J., but $100 is way too much for students.

I'll just go back to my hotmail address. Stupid Apple. But they always make crappy decisions. At least they're experimenting!

Good to hear that French people are actually appreciating Monty Pyhton.

"Why do you think I am speaking with this OUTRAGEOUS accent?"

"you stupid English Kiniggits"

Ah, love it.

I think Apple's decision is to take an additional step toward profitability. Even MS is telling Hotmail subscribers that the free ride is over without a subscription to MSN.
I agree that $100 is steep, and $130 is a lot for OS 10.2. If we want Apple to survive, we'll have to contribute. So, for once, I'm telling my Mac buddies to buy their own copy of the new OS instead of asking for a copy of mine. Maybe ".mac" is not for everybody, but then, I've been a Mac addict since the Mac 128. It is matter of choice, but, THE FREE RIDE IS OVER.

I will definitely not be subscribing. I don't blame Apple for starting to charge for it, but I do think that $100 is a lot. I personally simply don't need anything that the .mac offers. I never use my mac.com email address (will I at least be able to keep it?) or any of the iTools stuff. My email is in a Unix shell and I have a web site elsewhere under my own domain name and such.

I did subscribe just simply because it can help apple out. I had a yahoo account and was charged $20 for a year for extra storage space. I also could only load 25 mb of photos. I also had an xdrive plus account which was something like $4.99 a month for 60 mb. Also my homepage used to forward to angelfire which had banners and all that. The mac homepages don't have banners. So all this rambling by me means that I like the services that they offer and I guess for one I am willing to pay.

Fortunately for me, I had already upgraded my iDisk so my first year of .Mac is free. But I am definately planning on continuing my subscription after that. I love mac.com email, it's got the best webmail interface when I'm out. I also love homepage because, well, I wouldn't know where to get another website service and I wouldn't want to pay per month. Not only that, but then I'd have to design my own website and that would definately be a disaster.

100 mb of webspace and a 15mb email box are worth $100 to me, couple that with Virex and the whole backup software thing (I'll have to figure that out) and I'm more than willing drop some clams to Apple thanking them for all their hardwork on free iApps and everything else.

Well I figured for $50 for one year I would give it a try. After I filled out the online form and hit enter it stated to process my order and them promptly bombed with a server error.

I have tried to call Apple because I have no idea if it went through or not. This is what I hate about buying off the net. This has happened to me atleast a dozen times.

calliex

Anyone know what if I have 3 email addresses and can I just subscribe to one account and let the other email addresses be email-only accounts?

yes. that would be:
$100 a year for .mac
$10 a year for extra 1
$10 a year for extra 2

extra 2 each get 5mb of space and no photo signatures.

Does anybody really think this is worth it?

I must say that I love my mac.com email address, and letting it go will be huge wrench. But I can get everything else for free, just without the style and elegance. Style and elegance is not worth 99 in my humble opinion.

Alex

same thing with me. the only thing that .mac has going for it is that it is made by Apple. plus, its TOO simple. I want more power-user feature. btw, do you get a domain name with the homepage version of .mac?

Originally posted by xaqintosh
yes. that would be:
$100 a year for .mac
$10 a year for extra 1
$10 a year for extra 2

extra 2 each get 5mb of space and no photo signatures.

I know it, but the question is that am I able to convert my existing accounts to those email-only accounts?

Thanks.

Ok, so I'm supposed to shell out $129 for Jag, $30 for QT Pro, and $50 for .Mac all at once? SUCK ME!!!!

I signed the free .mac e-mail petition. I don't WANT their additional services. All I want is the e-mail address I spent the last 6 months getting everyone I know to use.

Originally posted by xaqintosh
Yes.

Sorry, before I really make my payment... Is at a "YES" for my question above? I don't want to know that I have to get full accounts for my all 3 email addresses after I made the payment!

Thanks! :)

Sorry, I missed the subject - re: ddma! :p Thanks and I am going to pay for it now!

Back