Digital Camcorder

Paul C

Registered
I'm looking to buy a digital camcorder this weekend but I've been told that only certain ones will work with Mac's, what features do I have to look for to be able to work with my ibook? :confused:

Does this mean that only camcorders on this page will connect to my ibook or only camcorders on this page can be editted within imovie? basically for example the JVC GRD20EK has an i-link but isn't listed on the imovie page :rolleyes:

I'm new to the digital camcorder thing :confused:

No, it only means that those are the only cameras Apple has successfully tested with iMovie. There may be (in fact, almost sure ARE) more cameras that are compatible with Final Cut Express/Pro (or, for that matter, Adobe Premiere) but I was assuming you were going with iMovie.

Different cameras may support a greater or lesser degree of the DV command protocols - which is what allows your computer to take full control of the camera during editing. I personally am not aware of any good acid test for whether a given camera will work, other than actually buying the camera and trying it out.

Taking imovie out of the question and if I just wanted to transfer the data from the camcorder to the ibook and not edit it will any camcorder with USB or Firewire (i-link) connect with OS X?

I've asked multiple shops but no one can really answer my questions, even though they are photography shops and most people into graphics/photography use Apple's :confused: :mad: :(

All I know is that I'm gonna get either a Canon, Sony or JVC

If you actually find a digital camera that uses USB 1, write a letter to its manufacturer and tell them to discontinue it; trying to transfer digital video through USB 1 is like trying to suck a river through a straw. USB 2 has much more bandwidth, but I don't believe Apple supports it.

Any camera with a Firewire/IEEE 1394/i-link connection should transfer video to your Mac. If you can, bring your iBook to the store and ask to try using a camera and downloading the footage to your computer. You'll have to use something like iMovie, but you don't have to edit it right then and there.

Originally posted by arden
If you can, bring your iBook to the store and ask to try using a camera and downloading the footage to your computer. You'll have to use something like iMovie, but you don't have to edit it right then and there.

Good idea. Especially with a major purchase. Most stores will make you check in the iBook. Just explain to them you need to make sure the camera you buy is compatible to your machine. They shouldn't give you a problem.

For what it's worth: you WILL have to use some kind of software to pull the data from the camera. OSX cannot mount a firewire camera like a hard drive, you've gotta use something that "speaks camcorder-ese".

Any MiniDV camcorder with a Firewire/1394a port will work with your Mac. As I understand it, some Sony cams use a format called MicroDV (or something). That WILL NOT work for you.

MiniDV is the most popular format at this point, I believe. So, it's not hard to find one.

Doug

P.S. I have a Canon ZR20 (got it for $500 back when they were selling for $599!! at the lowest).

What other cameras do you guys use? I'm looking into the possibility of getting one, and I'd also like some opinions on specific models.

It looks pretty good. I have a Canon MiniDV ZR40 and it is great. Easy to use, inexpensive $384, good video, but it only has a 16x digital zoom that is effective to 8x, anything further gets too grainy. Based on that alone, I would think the JVC would be a good choice as it has a 16x optical zoom. The sound is ok quality but an easy fix for that is to buy an add on microphone, something most cameras need to separate the audio input from camera noise. The ZR40 is definitely an entry level camera but good quality and I'm very happy with it. It also works as a bridge from my VCR to computer, a good way to bring VHS video to iMovie.

One note, I had to buy the firewire cable separately, it did not come with the camera, it was about $20.

Kool thanks for that, it looks like the JVC is gonna get got unless someone else says other wise ;)

Oh an I think I've got a firewire cable which came with my imac :D

Wow, a Firewire cable! :eek: ;)

Paul: That looks like a great camera. If you like it (and have sufficient funds, of course), by all means go for it.

Cheryl: Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it, and I'll check it out when the time comes.

Kool then it looks like I'm gonna go with the JVC one, I've found a site called unbeatable.co.uk and they have it for 480 pounds but argos.co.uk and a lot of other sites have it priced around 630 pounds :eek: :D

Here in England people in education don't really get discount in stuff like you guys do in tha good old US of A so I'm not sure, have a look around and see ;)

Back