Disk copy helper unexpectedly terminated

new2apple

Registered
I have not been able to install or open any dmg files for awhile now and its really getting problematic.

The program says waiting for disk copy and then says "Disk copy helper unexpectedly terminated"

Can anyone fix this blasted thing? :(

Hey new2apple :)

Which OS are you running? 10.3? 10.2? 10.1?

If 10.3, go to the (user /) Applications folder, there in Utilities. Open "Disk Utility" program. Choose your hard drive in it, and hit "repair disk permissions". If it finds a lot to repair, run it twice. That could fix it - let us know if it doesn't. :)

Giaguara said:
Hey new2apple :)

Which OS are you running? 10.3? 10.2? 10.1?

If 10.3, go to the (user /) Applications folder, there in Utilities. Open "Disk Utility" program. Choose your hard drive in it, and hit "repair disk permissions". If it finds a lot to repair, run it twice. That could fix it - let us know if it doesn't. :)

I've been running the disk utility all day after I just found out that you can do that (as opposed to booting from the install disk, which is what I was doing) and I'm still stuck. =(

Everyone I ask seems to be stuck and this really sucks. -Any idea for a next step?... (and thank you for the help by the way) ::love::

Restart your mac. After the chime (the startup sound) hold down the apple (= command) and "s" keys.
The mac will boot up in single user mode (black and white and text only).

The mac will show you what to do.
Type what it instructs - it will be something like
/ (something, the screen before where you type shows the exact) / fsck -y
Type that, wait untill it has run it. If it finds a lot to fix, do the same again,
then restart the mac - it should have fixed more than disk utility.

Try dragging the ".dmg" file to an open disk copy window. Its not
a very large window ...don't let that fool you.

It could be a preference issue if that doesn't work. Quit any open
applications .... then go to your
Home folder, open the Library folder then the Preferences folder
and trash any or all of:

- com.apple.helpviewer.plist (I'd try this one first)
- com.apple.helpui.plist
- com.apple.help.plist

Restart, then see if the issue repeats.

Hope this helps.

thats freakin weird... -none of those files were in the pref folder, but dragging the files into the disk copy window worked, so at least i can open stuff SOME way when I need to (thanks) but I've still got a bug somewhere...

-I couldnt figure out the reboot thing. I got the screen mentioned but the directions werent simple enough for me. I'll try again and see if I can figure it out though I suppose.

Okay, this should be pretty straightforward (if not simple):
  1. Reboot your computer while holding down the Command (open apple) and S keys.
  2. At the prompt (as in, when it stops doing anything and you see a blinking cursor), type fsck -y and push return.
  3. If, after some activity, you get a message saying that some stuff was repaired, repeat step 2.
  4. When you get a message saying everything's okay, type "restart" and push return.

I followed the reboot instructions and it found no errors. =(

I just installed the new iphoto and imovie and ran disk doctor and it exploded with hundreds of disk errors....

still can't use disk copy normally...

I've ordered Panther which should arrive tomorrow or the next day. Will that fix the problem do you think? or is this something that should be fixed before I install the new OS...?

Nortons is NO GOOD for OS X systems. Get it off your drive if you have it installed, it can cause major problems.

TechTool Pro and DiskWarrior are very good utilities to use.

I would boot off your OS CD and run Disk Repair. If it finds any errors, run it again. Next, run FSCK again.

Panther should resolve your problems with Disk Copy, but I would do the above steps before installing, unless you're going to reformat your drive for Panther.

really on norton??? dang... how come? i would have never thought... i have no idea how to uninstall things on macs...I just delete the files...? oy..

I got techtool but I dont know what 80% of it means. any tips on that one? how to use - regularity of use - schedule?

I got panther today for the sole reason of the expose feature which I needed desperatly and the disk copy problem is gone. thanks for the help guys. if anyone has any comments on norton or tech or any other software I should invest in and use - speak up! =)

Yes, Nortons has cause major problems for some people. It's recommend against using it for OS X. Symantec has stopped development of this for Macs.

Just do a Find for Nortons, and trash anything you find.

TechTool has a read me included, and you can use the Help Menu. I've only run it once since I received the newest version., Works well. You can run it regularly if you want, once a month or so, and any time you have a problem it wouldn't hurt to run it.

DiskWarrior is also a very good program to have. It builds a new disk directory and replaces a damaged one.

OS X has built in maintenance routines that run around 3:45AM, only if your machine is on and not asleep. You can use CockTail, Onyx or some other programs to run these routines at your connivence.

Back