DivX on the Mac stinks

toast

Gone !
I'm just bored with DivX on the Mac.

Any time I get a DivX, from LimeWire or from a friend, I get this percentage of problems:

30% go well.
60% play video but no sound.
10% won't play at all.

The last percentage increases every time I download from LimeWire…
I've been using most Quicktime components (ffmpeg, divx), DivXDoctor II (best results with it), DivX Tool, Video Lan Client, I still get Eyes Wide Shut, Akira, Sixth Sense and Spider Man all garbled.

Quicktime 5 is no help. I'll get the 6 soon, but I belive it won't solve much of it. Any tiny AVI error is lethal on Quicktime, whereas a PC just corrects it quickly. Any frame missing or sound plop will truncate the sound or just make the film unreadable, while Windows reads the files quickly, smoothly, simply, correcting all at a time.

Last, but not least, a P3 will navigate through the film easily while my G3/500 shows the rainbow curse for 1/2 seconds before.

I'm really disappointed about that. Anyone knows a 'killer' application that would let me read those AVI DIVX files like a PC user please ?

PS: and I've got a lot more againt OS X… even though it stays best OS ever.

QT6 won't really improve the DiVX situation on the Mac. But, with Real adopting MPEG-4 and QT6 offering it as well, hopefully we'll see people move away from DiVX and on to the better MPEG-4 format.

I hope the DiVX situation improves on the Mac, but I'd be happier if more people shifted to MPEG-4.

Okay, I'll try this.

Isn't there any peer-to-peer network just for the mac ? With mac files exclusively ? I think I'm dreaming. But…

Originally posted by jppjr79
i use the 3ivx codec for playback of divx file (after running through divx doctor 2)

http://www.3ivx.com

Well, I use to get the best results with DDoctor II. But I still get 30% movies with audio truncated, which gets very frustrating when you have a 700 Mo download finished.
I just find it stupid at the very beginning: Windows is buggy but overpasses buggy AVIs, while Mac is not buggy but just bumps in missing keyframes and crashes garbled sound.

I still strongly recommend 3ivx to anyone.

theres an OS 9 divx doctor that i cant find anywhere, but works great.. the only program i have ever found to work 98% of the time, it required windows 6.3 for OS 9 too, which was equally hard to find. the site is an automatic link to the 3ivx.com site .. but here it is anyway http://www.mac.divx.st ... its called divx 1.0b10 (not positive though) .. i can put both of them on my idisk tonight if anybody wants to try them, i would know but im stuck here using winblows 2000

Originally posted by drustar
Will the Mac version of Windows Media Player work?

tried and no, it won't work. Mac WMP doesn't recognize anything else than .wmf .wmv .asf and the like. no avi recognition.

Back