DNS Lookup referring to bad domain?

evandy

Registered
This is a problem with my wife's iBook (PowerPC, about 1yr old) (running OSx 10.4, latest update). Since my Ti Powerbook (~ 3yr old) does not exhibit the problem on the same network, this definately seems to be an issue with her computer.

For some reason, when trying to access websites (both Safari and Firefox) by name, she gets referred to a web page that says "domain name here" is available for use! and looks suspiciously like adware. www.cberger.com is the latest site, but is by no means the only one. When I try to access the web page from my own Tibook, the page loads successfully. Now, for the truly odd problem: If I run nslookup from the shell, and use the IP address it returns in Safari/Firefox on her laptop, then she can access the site just fine. So, for some reason, Safari/Firefox (at least) are getting bad (ad-ware??) DNS lookups, although console nslookup is working just fine.

Any help would be appreciated!

Have you tried clearing the cache? Is the computer fully up-to-date with OSX? Are there DNS servers entered in the network config on either of your computers?

set her home page to something else..then try to navigate to that website.

You could also download and install AppleJack..then boot in single user mode and run it..Very effective for removing cache(s)

Back