Do i need a new hard-drive?

HoboZig

Registered
Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows the problem i'm experiencing.

Yesterday i was installing updates and after they had finished my Macbook 13" re-booted itself and got stuck at the screen where OSLeopard loads (the apple logo with the spinning wheel animation). This happened for several hours. I tried taking oiut the battery but same happened again. I came to realise that maybe i needed to re-install the OS. I re-started the mac again with my leopard disk in and holding C. The install walk-through opened and things looked good until it came to searching for a hard-disk to install the operating system. The mac searched for hard-disk for half an hour before i gave up and went to bed. I presumed at this point my HardDrive was completely broke.

This morning i managed to transfer all my files to a friends macbook (which i am using now) using FireWire by holding down T when OS starts. This confused me a little because if my hard-drive is broke then how am i accessing it's contents. Any advice or a diagnosis?

Also if i do need to replace my hard drive, is it really as simple as these video's on youtube make out?

Many Many Thanks
Zig

Very well could be directory issues or corruption of some sort.

I highly recommend Alsoft's DiskWarrior. Startup with it's DVD and repair your Mac. Always had excellent results with it.

Startup and hold alt/option and see if your hard rive is appearing there. It probably isnt so put your OSX install disk in and after you choose a language, open disk utilities from the top menu. You should see your hard drive there, then do this, in order: Verify Disk Permission. If you get a red message that says failed or something bad, Repair Disk Permissions. If it says completed and everything is OK then you don't need to repair. Once that completes after a while, hit "Verify Disk" then "Repair Disk".

If that fails, as stated above, diskwarrior might be a good idea.

Back