Doc icons turning to question marks?

shocfacter

Registered
Hello. Sometimes my doc icons change to where they have a question mark supperimposed over them. Sometimes the icon itself disappears all together and only the question mark is left. This seems to only happen with icons that I have made an alias of and dragged the alias to the doc. The alias icons will be good for a while then after a few days the above mentioned will happen. Anybody know why this happens all of a sudden?

Instead of making an alias and dragging it to the dock, just drag the actual application itself to the dock. That's like making an alias in itself -- the original item won't be moved (it'll stay in /Applications or wherever) and an alias will be created in the dock only.

I think you're just doing one extra step -- making an alias -- which isn't needed.

Thanks El diablo but what I failed to mention was that I started off making an alias but then I started dragging a dropping them like that instead of making the alias BUT they STILL turn into question marks sometimes. Id just like to know what would cause an icon in the doc to turn into a question mark, wether the icon was an alias or dragged & dropped or even started out in the doc upon purchase. Actually the latter has never happened YET. It seems to only happen to the icons that I add to the doc.

The question mark means that it can't find the original file anymore. Where are these files located -- on your internal drive (like applications from the /Applications folder), or on an external drive? What kinds of files are they?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
The question mark means that it can't find the original file anymore. Where are these files located -- on your internal drive (like applications from the /Applications folder), or on an external drive? What kinds of files are they?

They're under applications. It mostly happens with my calculater and AOL icons when they are in the doc. Again I keep of those origional files under applications.

Back