Does anyone else NOT like iPhoto?

Holmes

Humble God
The way iPhoto organizes all the files in the program itself is fine, but I totally hate the way it organizes the files on the hard drive. This is fine if you just browse your photo using that program alone but its horrible for trying to find the files later in photoshop. Folder within folder within folder! And if you want to add already existing photos to it, it'll make copies of EVERYTHING and organise them its own way. I wish it would just make ONE new folder every time you downloaded something from the CAMERA and maybe asked you if you for a name for the folder or something. If Apple wants this product to take off they need a solution to this problem.

I like the way it does it. That way I can modify/crop the photo in the album without changing the original.

I have a question though. Can I save my slide show to a file and put it on the web for my friends/family?

I love the way it organizes Photos. You can put them wherever you like, but if you use iPhoto to automatically grab them from your digital camera, it's going to store them in your Pictures folder, which is where they belong if you want a easy, simple to backup organization.

And no, you can't export the OpenGL slideshows to a file - at least not in version 1.0.

This program is amazing. Any other company would make this a $30-50 purchase. The fact that Apple includes it for free is awesome.

I love the new ability to make the book. Many a family member will be getting one for their birthdays!

Hmmm... I'm trying to add a bunch of photos from folders that reside on a different hard drive, and iPhoto copies them to my Pictures folder. Annoying -- but I guess I'm expecting it to act more like Portfolio in that regard.

Sort of...Click the album you want, press share, and then press homepage. It'll go onto the web under your iTools acount. It won't have the music or the OpenGL effects though.

Yeah El Diablo, that's why I don't like it. It copies everything and if your trying to find the files using anything other than iPhoto its a mess.

Inisde my pictures folder is iPhoto library, followed by folders with the year, folders with the month, folders, with the day, and the photos taken on that day (which by the way are all renamed), and a few folders of ugly data.

By the way, you don't need to find the photos themselves in the Finder. To open a photo in Photoshop w/o going through all the folders, just open up iPhoto. Under the prefs, change your default application to photoshop. Of course it'll open in the Classic environment, but what the hell. Now, when you want to edit a photo, you double click it, and, instead of opening it right in iPhoto, it will open it in Photoshop. Problem solved!

Yah it seems like that should work SimX but for some reason it'll just launch photoshop and not open the file. I'm not sure why. Does this work on anyone elses system?

I installed iphoto and right away, the Apple System Profiler stopped working. It unexpectedly quits when I load it up.

Anyone else getting that?

iPhoto doesnt work with my digital camera either, but it looks like a kick-butt app. And its nice that it doesn't compete with photoshop. Its exactly where it needs to be.

And the price is right.

Luv it.
Editing in Photoshop with double click works ok for me, and in GC.
Works with my Sony MemoryStick reader.

Web page works ok (on my own server) , but to upload to iTools here from Sweden takes hours, but then again, it always does.

Well I'll be damned, it DOES work to launch photoshop on double click. I think it was opening a 50MB Adobe file before and I wasn't being patient enough or something. Well I'm glad that works, that certianly makes life easier.

My biggest problem with the new iPhoto is that it can not read standard IPTC data within JPEGs, such as caption, keyword, and category fields. I've already spent hours fully captioning my photos, now iPhoto can't even read them!

Plus, iPhoto re-numbers all your photos. Again, I've already done all this.

I'll stick with iView Multimedia Pro. It's a far superior cataloging application. I recommend it to everyone.

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/

I could really love it if I could specify another folder (on another Volume) than the pictures folder on my Systempartition.
I have made a systempartition with 3GB, and if I put all my pictures on it, well...

In iTunes I can specify another folder, so why can't I do it in iPhoto?
The way it is, it is useless to me... :mad:

Finder alias don't work, but:
[localhost:~/Pictures] gumse% ln -s "/Volumes/data1/iPhoto Library" "iPhoto Library"

does the trick for you

as a consumer-oriented app, iPhoto rocks!

this app is going to be a big hit, i think, especially for people with children. parents take *a lot* of pics. :)

It's a nice app, but they screwed up the one feature that they had to get right. The number one thing I do with my digital camera photos is make prints on my photo printer of the ones my wife likes to send to her parents. You can print a bunch of photos easily enough by selecting "standard prints" option in the print dialog box, but it prints one photo per page, regardless of the print size you want, and regardless of the size of the page.

On the printer I'm using, there's an 8x10" printable area, which is plenty big enough for two 4x6", but it wants to print one per page. Both ImageBuddy and Portraits & Prints handle this correctly.

I just have a question about the part where you can order the prints from Kodak.

The files would have to be uploaded in order for the prints to be made.

How big are the average files that have to be uploaded?

I think it's a wicked little program overall, and looks like it's been really well designed.

On my 2.2 Megapixel Kodak most of my photos are about 500k. If I were to edit them in photoshop they are larger, around a megabyte. That doesn't seem like you'd have to wait too long for them to upload but could be borderline annoying if you've got a lot and 56k.

Originally posted by houchin
It's a nice app, but they screwed up the one feature that they had to get right. The number one thing I do with my digital camera photos is make prints on my photo printer of the ones my wife likes to send to her parents. You can print a bunch of photos easily enough by selecting "standard prints" option in the print dialog box, but it prints one photo per page, regardless of the print size you want, and regardless of the size of the page.

On the printer I'm using, there's an 8x10" printable area, which is plenty big enough for two 4x6", but it wants to print one per page. Both ImageBuddy and Portraits & Prints handle this correctly.

actually, you can print more than one-up. click on advanced options in the print dialog, select layout from the pull down menu. there you can specify how many up you want.

At first I hated it, but now... I don't know.. Okay, I like it. I organized about 500 pics today and it was snap. The file thing bugged me at first, but I am learning to let go.

Back