Downloading from Apple

MLE

Upstate, New York
For some reason, when I want to download from Apple.com, whether it's Quicktime 6.2 or iTunes 4.0, I can DOWNLOAD it fine, but I can't install it. There isn't even anything that says "installer". Only folders in this sequence:
Quicktime.pkg
Contents
Resources

Any ideas?? Or would someone be willing to pass me along the iTunes 4 in a zip file?

And Synergy, how do I install that?

let me know, thanks.

Quicktime.pkg is the installer package. Double click it and it should start installing.

iTunes4 is similar. I believe mine decompressed to a folder called iTunes4 on my desktop with iTunes.mpkg or something in that folder. Just double click it and it'll install.

Oh, I've tried double clicking on it, but it just won't. It'll open up to another folder....contents....and then to another one....resources or something.

FYI - I'm running Mac OS X 10.2.5

Yeah, the reason I asked what OS you are running is because in OS X, cocoa applications are actually folders, with those folders inside providing the resources to the application.

What browser are you using to download these files?

If you are clicking on the QuickTime and iTunes installers and seeing package contents, something is wrong with your Finder, or with the downloaded files.

I'm using IE as of right now. I've tried both, IE and Safari, but I still get the same results. Do you suggest that I restart Finder or..........???

For the Quicktime update, if you dig into the folders you will find a program called QT6Installer in the resources folder.

There should be something similar in the iTunes mpkg. If you see them as folders already then you shouldn't have a problem finding the installers.

Thats obviously not a fix for your problem of why you can't use the pkg files as packages and not folders, but should let you install the updates..

Possible fix?
Cntrl(right) click on it, the drop-down menu should have "Hide package contents" or something similar. In OS 9 right now so can't verify.

The Strangest Thing:

I just got a new iMac G5 today with Tiger pre-installed, and I can't run .mpkg installers! They just open as folders. Possibly related, I installed Stuffit Expander 9.02 today as well. How do I regain the ability to run .mpkg installers?

Back