Dreamweaver MX ftp connection problem

towerpower

Registered
Hi

System as follows: OS 10.3.9 Dreamweaver MX.

Whilst attempting to upload files through DW MX I get the following message

Error message an ftp error occurred cannot make connection to host

This occurs with all my sites regardless of host. It has been working fine for years and all of a sudden it stops. The only thing I can think changed about the time this problem began was that my IP changed from Tiscali to Talk Talk. But they are not actually hosting the sites I cannot connect to. This is where I get confused.

Could it be the SSH_host key has changed? I can’t locate this anywhere on my machine.

I hate Dreamweaver when it does this. I have spent hours/days attempting to fix alongside scanning the net for solutions.

Here is the way I have managed but it’s a pain in the arse. I have a 2nd copy of Dreamweaver MX residing on a 2nd drive on my machine which runs OS9. I open this copy whilst still in OSX on my main drive (I am aware you can run DW MX on 9 and 10).

I can connect through this copy and have been uploading files this way. I would work entirely using this copy of DW but other functions do not work, eg cannot edit sites. Does this mean the problem is somewhere within the different copies of DW or system specific or what?

Any ideas?

thanks, Rob

Try using Fetch, Transmit, or other FTP app. Do your codes work there? If they do, it's dreamweaver. If they don't, the codes have possibly changed or you could be entering them wrong?

I think he means your website code... html files, jpeg images, php files -- whatever your website is made of, and, specifically, the files you're editing in Dreamweaver.

Use one of the aforementioned FTP clients to upload your website to your hosting provider. If you can successfully FTP files with those clients, then the problem can be narrowed down to something specific with Dreamweaver.

If the aforementioned FTP clients don't work and cannot make a simple FTP connection to your hosting provider, then that would point to a problem that is more widespread and not relegated to Dreamweaver.

If you read my original post you will see I can connect via ftp through my other copy of DW, which resides on my 2nd drive which runs OS9 although I am opening that copy through and on my main drive which is running OSX. This copy, when open through OSX has very limited functions eg I cannot edit the site etc, so I suppose that must mean the problem is with the copy of Dreamweaver that is on my OSX drive? Its quite an odd scenario opening an application from a different drive and this is where I am getting confused?

I think he means your website code...

Nope, actually I meant ftp codes. It seems to me your OS X version of DW has lost all it's ftp logins and the OS 9 DW still has them. That's why I want you to try connecting first with an independent ftp client, like fetch, using the codes you know are right.

Then try DW in OS X and check each ftp site it holds, and make sure those codes match what you have in OS 9.

The OS 9 preferences where the ftp codes are stored is completely different, and separate from, the OS X version of DW you are running.

Last edited:
Right, have just downloaded fetch and that connects with no problems, so I would guess it’s the Dreamweaver MX. So how can I fix it?

Go to your "Site Definitions" and check to see if your ftp sites are all listed there. If not, re-enter them and test the connections.

And where might the Site Definitions be found?
I have done a find search and nothing and they are not within the DW configuration files on either of my copies.
thanks Rob

Thanks, but i have Peachpit Press book on Dreamweaver MX (it’s not MX2004, although they look pretty similar).
The site definitions window/wizard, which I found and use regularly, (I thought it must be some kind of hidden file) carries the same info it always has, and which has connected fine for years, I have tried re-entering to no avail and it’s the same info entered into fetch, which connected so it must be correct. I give up but thanks for your help

Sorted, and as usual something fairly simple.

I have a piece of software called Little Snitch, accessed through Prefs, the problematic D/W copy had a box checked Deny all connections, changed this to Allow connections and connects fine. I don’t know how this got altered, if it was me I must have been dreaming/weavering (ha, ha)
Sorry and thankyou all for your help, it has allowed we to work through the problem and I believe solve it also

Back