Drive icons on desktop...

austrini

Registered
Hello, I read these all the time but i've never posted anything, so.... yay. I looked for this is previous threads and couldnt find it. I have a dedicated swap file partition and it shows up on my desktop. I dont want it to - and I dont know how to hide it without hiding everything else. Also, if instead of hiding it, I wanted to change it's icon - I cant. If I do the whole get info copy/paste thing the icon never changes - although every other HD icon does... is there another way I could do that? Besides changing the default HD icon?
Thanks
Jstn

In OSX: Make an alias of the HD you want to keep on your desktop, then go into your menu and go "Finder: Preferences" then select "Hard Disks" where it says "Show these items on desktop". Then all that should show on your desktop is the alias of the HD, which you can now change it's icon too (The alias not the real thing)!

In OSX.1: Do the same thing to make only one HD appear on the desktop, and to change the icon just do it how you usually would, though sometimes it requires you to restart.

that will hide the SWAP from desktop, but if you open a window and go to "Computer" it's still there.

If you want to hide the swap partition completely (of course, you can always go there in terminal, although I feel there really isn't a need to do so), you can use SetFile utility that came in your dev tool CD.

it's in /developer/tools

SetFile -a V yourswapvolume

should hide it. You might need to monkey around a bit to actually see the change. (Finder doesn't seem to auto-update or something, if you have a window open at "Computer" go to your swap volume, then press on back... it should be hidden then). I don't show stuffs in Desktop, so I don't know if change would take immediately.

as far as changing the icon goes, you might wanna see who owns the partition. If it's owned by 'root', I guess you can come back in as root and change it, or (temporarily) change the ownership of the partition.

well, of course, you can stick with Trip's method as well

beef: the way you said to change the icon won't work, it's just how OSX was developed. Unless of course your speaking of OSX.1, but that's the long way around. :)

Your welcome anyhow.

Back