Dvd drive to be purched-any tips?

Gambit

MacManiac
Hi there all!

My QS contains this: 800hz/1.5 Gig/G-force 4MX/60Gigs of HD space/Cd-wr.

I have another slot underneath the Cd one. I'd like to mabye purchace a DVD drive to put underneath it so I can watch some films.

Any tips on what to buy?
Where to buy?
And, of course, how much would I have to put down in terms of $ for this purchase?

Be greatful for any advice :)

PS: As you've probably understood here, I'm a total newbie when it comes to DVD slots and my mac ;)

Regards...
/G

If you want to be compatible with iTunes, iDVD and burning in the Finder, go with a Pioneer DVR-105. It's basically the same drive Apple uses as the Superdrive.

ESBuy has them for about $150.

Oh, I see you wanted to just get a DVD drive. I'd still go the route of the Pioneer. It's a bit more than just a DVD drive, but you will be ensured compatability with all the Apple software (including DVD Player).

Ta, serpicolugnut for your tip!
I rather like pioneer too (as well as some other brands).

150$ is not entirely impossible to "fling out" when the right time comes.

It's not little money but not a total disaster either ;)

Again, thanx!

/G

Gambit,

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the QS models only have a 3.5 inch bay below the CD bay. This bay was only designed to hold a device like a zip drive, not a 5.25 cd/dvd drive.

Now if you wanted to put the dvd player in the top bay (where your cd drive is) you could always put your cd drive in a firewire case, and use it that way.

Might want to check before making a purchase and finding out the hard way. :)

Good luck

Hi guys, will that Pioneer DVR-105 work in the Mirrored Doors G4 and is it a case of 'plug and play'?
Thanks.
- Paul

Yes, it should be. The 105 was used on the second generation of the MDD's (Firewire 800 models), I believe. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

To verify this, do a search on this site, which should give you plenty of info. Another great place to check is: http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso
He has an excellent database of different types of drives being used in macs.

Check out your specific computer models at www.apple-history.com. There you can see what drives your respective computers have, and what you can fit.

Naodx: Why not simply put the Pioneer into an external FW enclosure and use it as an external drive, or, better yet, buy the external Pioneer? That would be a lot easier than removing the CD-ROM drive and putting the DVD drive in, then having to put the CD-ROM drive into an enclosure.

Not sure about the QS, but I'm running a BW G3 350, with an external DVD Rom (LG) that works fine. The drive was $33.00 shipped and I think the case (with 1-USB 2.0 & 2-Firewire connects) was $75.00.

The reason you would or wouldn't put the pioneer drive into a firewire case depends on what programs you want to use it with.
If you just use toast to burn to dvd, then the firewire case would be an excellent option. But if you use iDVD (not sure on DVD studio pro) you can't burn to a an external dvd burner, thus swapping it with the exsisting drive would be a better option (you could always put the cd-r in a firewire case).

Back