Eminem to sue Apple?

It's just too strange, I think. But, well, what do we care: Apple will handle this. They'll either win, lose or find a solution that both parties can agree with. Move on, people, nothing to see here but the US legal system in action.

Wow i thought Eminem was smart but this shows he must be a simplistic idiotic retard. I use to like Eminem, but after ive read this, this is horrible, i hate eminem. Eminem needs to die and go to hell (he prolly is anyway). I'm making sure i never again spend another penny towards eminem to encourage this kind of behavior... he was smart with 50 cent, but this really pisses me off and its like what a !@#$in moron.

whitesaint said:
Wow i thought Eminem was smart but this shows he must be a simplistic idiotic retard. I use to like Eminem, but after ive read this, this is horrible, i hate eminem. Eminem needs to die and go to hell (he prolly is anyway). I'm making sure i never again spend another penny towards eminem to encourage this kind of behavior... he was smart with 50 cent, but this really pisses me off and its like what a !@#$in moron.
Get over yourself, boy.
Seriously, anyone who is like you, must be retarded.
As much of a Mac fan I am, I think it is COMPLETLY stupid that Apple didn't ask for permission. It's like asking to be sued...
Oh, and, Eminem had nothing to do with this, his label Eight Mile Style is suing.

j79 said:
That's "legal" copyright.

Any work you create, you have copyright over. You then have the option of registering it with the copyright office to make it legal - which just makes it easier to sue down the road.

Technically, yes, but not in the eyes of a court. If you don't have some way to prove that you were the original creator of the song (ie. mailed yourself the lyrics and a tape via us mail or applied for copyright through the US government) then your claim for copyright is much more tenuous.

As far as a 10 year old kid singing an eminem song and violating copyright, I find that highly questionable. They didn't use the actual song but an adaptation of it. They do this in commercials all the time; re-recording an original song and changing the lyrics slightly. See "car commercial theme songs." It's unfortunate that apple didn't get permission first, but eminem doesn't have much of a leg to stand on if he didn't at least have a copyright pending on the song until after the commercial was aired.

Seems a bit like money grubbing and attention mongering to me if these things are indeed true.

The biggest problem these days is that every one in the US thinks that suing is the answer for everything. I believe this, and I am an American! Pretty soon you won't be able to wipe your a** or say "breast" without offending someone and getting sued.

Don't even get me started! :)

UNIX X11 said:
Get over yourself, boy.
Seriously, anyone who is like you, must be retarded.
As much of a Mac fan I am, I think it is COMPLETLY stupid that Apple didn't ask for permission. It's like asking to be sued...
Oh, and, Eminem had nothing to do with this, his label Eight Mile Style is suing.

Yep, stupid move on Apple's part.

The first thing that came to mind was the fact that (though spelled differently) this dumba** takes the name M&M. It would tickle me pink to see M&M/Mars sue this a-hol* for that alone. Afterall there was MikeRoweSoft. And we know what happened there. So I guess it's OK to go after someone (in another country even) if they have a name that is phonetically the same as yours. Yep. I think it's time to write a letter to M&M and complain that some hooligan is using a name that sounds like their BRAND of candy. Or maybe this is all just so the ENEMA guy can steal the spotlight from Janet Jackson, who stole it from Michael Jackson. So next I guess Michael will sue Janet and Janet will sue ENEMA, and Martha Stewart will sue ENEMA for taking the spotlight off her case. And I guess Bush's amemnment thing is really all about Martha getting too much air-time too! Please.

Fact: The kid did *not* violate *any* recording copyright *if* the actual recorded song was never played in the commercial! There are two copyrights potentially at issue here: [1] the recording (p) ("circle p") copyright and [2] the lyrics/sheetmusic which is a (c) ("circle c") copyright. This is exactly why people are allowed under the law to sing their own version of the song in bars, etc. as a "cover band!" However, it *is* true that the music *publisher* who owns the (c) sheet music and lyrics (unless Eminem owns these himself) theoretically could sue the kid if it could be argued that b/c it was a commercial and not 'non-commercial free-speech' that there was no "fair-use" to the sample ... but that is the key: fair-use or not fair-use that is the question (the fact that it was a for-profit commercial won't help Apple).

Interesting issue if true. God speed Apple ....

Natobasso said:
As far as a 10 year old kid singing an eminem song and violating copyright, I find that highly questionable. They didn't use the actual song but an adaptation of it. They do this in commercials all the time; re-recording an original song and changing the lyrics slightly.

You are right on the money (pun intended). If Apple did an original recording (new musicians, etc.) or if the kid sang the song acapella (spelling) then the only copyright at issue is the sheet music. As far as that goes, I disagree with the people who claim that the music wasn't copyrighted in time -- nonsense. There is a common law copyright if he simply "copied" on paper (or other permament structure including RAM! [yes, RAM, according to the Court of Appeals and U.S. Supreme Court]) for a fixed period of time the lyrics and music -- even on a photocopier! The whole U.S. Library of Congress Copyright Office is for Federal protection (but protection would theoretically still exist).

If I didn't think it would adversely affect Apple sales, I would think removing Eminem content from the online store would be a good idea, especially if the other online companies, no matter what their share, agreed to remove as well.

I'm not telling people to steal music and I'm not saying Apple is 100% in the clear on it, but I'm sure Eminem wants *sales* of his album and not *steals*. Let P2P be his #1 online distribution channel. He could move into suing his fans then for his $12.99. lol

If I were Apple, I would drop Eminem regardless of how this lawsuit turns out. Yes, they should have made sure to have the artists permission to use the song, but still the phrase applies "don't bite the hand that feeds you." Plus, its not like they are going to lose any money by not having Eminem's crap on their site, iTMS doesn't make any money anyway.

True, but people may want their purchased Eminem music to work on their iPod, which they don't own yet. ;)

That's the issue.

Personally, I'd take a stand and drop him for that same saying. If your not willing to give of yourself, you can't expect to get in return. In this case, all he had to do was absolutely nothing. Just let the kid sing your words with no music and let the money roll in and the piracy fade, a little at least. Instead, he sued the company that's bringing him a check.

that's the problem. it's free advertising for Apple, not Eminem. As far as I can tell, Apple goofed on this one. If they allowed the content to be used in the commercial - they commissioned the commercial, and they approved it - and they knew they didn't have the rights to it, they basically goofed up by doing so.

If it were your music, and it was being used, I doubt that any of you would not want to seek payment for your work.

and if you say you wouldn't, then congrats on being careless about who uses your music/image... can I use your music in something that you might not appreciate... for free?

Eminem to sue NBA/TNT?

I just heard one of his songs on the promo for the return of Rasheed Wallace to Portland with the Pistons. We all know that Eminem doesn't want to endorse any product, so it would make sense that he would sue the NBA and TNT broadcasting for using the *actual* recording of his song to promote their product, right?

I response to gerbic, from what I can tell, Apple was giving payment to Eminem in the form of reducing piracy of his music, increasing legal purchasing of his music, and giving him more exposure with the exclusive on the front page of iTunes launch.

For the argument of the artist doesn't get as much as the label; its his label! ;)

Okay, sorry to bring back an old thread, but I thought this would be good for a little irony.
Eminem's newest video with D12 (I think?) at the very start of the video, there is an iPod mini. And he doesn't endorse products?

Back