Erase & Install and Backup Question?

Spiral Girl

Registered
Hi,

I'm on Tiger 10.4.11 and on a iMac. So yesterday I did an erase and install and when I inserted my install disk into my iMac under Disk Utility there were was the main drive 149.10 GB (letters for drive), then just below it indented was the Macintosh HD. So I chose the main part 149.10 and clicked erase and left the name blank which was untitled.

Then I migrated over my main user account from my iMac Tiger partition and when I turned my Mac back on I saw the drive was called untitled so I changed the name to MacintoshHD.

Today I wanted to do a backup of my drive onto a partition using Super Duper and it said it couldn't find MacintoshHD and that if I had deleted it another way to hit Cancel. So I chose Macintosh HD in the list and my partition to clone to. Then when I ran Super Duper it failed at the erase iMac Tiger part so I went into Get Info and saw that it said the owner was the system so I changed it to my username and left it as read and write, the Group is admin/read&write and others is read only.

The clone worked thankfully.

Just wondering was it alright that renamed Untitled to MacintoshHD and changed the permissions?

Last edited:
Hello,

Okay I've got most of this problem solved. The clone worked fine and I know it's okay to change the MacintoshHD name but I had to change permissions on the MacintoshHD to user: system to user: my username because Super Duper failed to erase the drive for me. Once I changed permissions it worked.

Just wondering if I should now go back and change MacintoshHD to user: system the way it originally was before I changed it.

I wanted to delete this post and just edit my first one but realize I can't delete it.

S.

Back