Error 0x80020022 (can't burn a dvd)

applez

Registered
Hi,

I've seen this error code mentioned over and over in the forums (mostly from 2005/2006 ?) but I have yet to see a resolution.

I have OS 10.5.2 on a G5 with 1.25 Gb of RAM. DVD drive is OEM model . I can burn CDs no problem no problem but when it comes to DVDs nada. I have used different types of DVDs, cleaned the head, reset pram, dumped the prefs etc.

I don't know what to do. Are DVDs burned differently by the DVD/CD burner ? Or is this an OS issue ?

Oh and yeah, can anyone assist please ? lol

Thanks !

Perry

Do you have a "Combo Drive" or a "Super Drive" ? The former cannot burn to DVD.

If you do not know, open System Profiler to find out.

I've seen a lot of problems with Superdrives in the earlier G5s. There was a firmware update a while ago, here

That might help. They seem to have issues reading Dual Layer DVDs as well. My brother-in-law's G5 won't read the Leopard disc, but using an External Drive installed it on his machine with no problem.

If the firmware update doesn't help, then the good news is that Superdrives are CHEAP these days (~$30 if you look hard enough). Or if you have any sort of warranty or friends inside Apple, you can complain until they fix it.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Tjhe firmware update was already done. Any other ideas ? From what I've seen there are lots of people on the net with this issue

It's true. Lots of other people have this issue with early G5s. If the firmware update doesn't help, and your warranty has run out, then unfortunately, your option is to replace the superdrive.

You can find a link in my above post for a $30 Dual-Layer burner that is faster and more stable than the burner that came in your G5.

It's true. Lots of other people have this issue with early G5s. If the firmware update doesn't help, and your warranty has run out, then unfortunately, your option is to replace the superdrive.

You can find a link in my above post for a $30 Dual-Layer burner that is faster and more stable than the burner that came in your G5.

I use a nec drive ad7173 in my g5 and it is heaven as burning goes multiple times quicker (18 speed in stead of 2/4 speed). Save yourself a lot of time and buy a new one, the price is not worth the effort.

Good luck, Kees

Back