error code 8058

Qfxz

Registered
iMac 24", Intel, 2.8GHz, 500GB HD, Superdrive, 2GB RAM, this machine was set up yesterday, the 17th.
Burning images on a CD is a simple task. I have been doing it for years. I just got this iMac and am retiring (selling?) my iMac 17" ppc G5. Fresh out of the carton, I have work to submit on a CD for one of my classes tomorrow. I fire up Toast Lite, drag and drop the files to be recorded and put in a new, blank CD, the drive spits it out and gives me 'error code - 8058' also known as one of those unexpected errors (and always unexplained) so it clould not 'complete the operation.'
I tried Maxell, then a Memorex disc with the same results; toast shows that the disk is unwritable. I went to disk utility with the same results, well, actually no results.
I checked forums here and there, found nothing of use, I checked these forums and found nothing of use (BTW, with several hundred thousand forum posts, how is it feasible to find the right one? This has always been a mystery to me and the search option has never returned any workable results).
So if anyone as an answer to this let me know. Please do not waste my time by asking me basic questions like, 'did you put the CD in the right way' or give me a lesson on how to burn a CD or direct me to tech bulletin which shows how to do this.
My guess? Check the firmware, if it's okay then I will submit a request for tech support. Something is screwy in St. Louie, probably a bad drive?
Thanks
JQ

Back