favorite new Finder features...

serpicolugnut

OS X Supreme Being
Have you seen the new Open/Save dialog windows? Yes! Finally, Apple improves upon the OS 9 method. Use either column or list view, and the sidebar gives you a great list of frequently visited places easily accessed....

Also, Font Book looks like a great solution for font management. On the down side, three developers today (Extensis, insider software, and DiamondSoft) who make Mac font managers have been put on notice that their products better get some innovative new features in the next 6 months or they will be rendered useless....

Same goes for SmithMicro and FaxSTF. I'm not sure how good the OS X built in faxing will be, but it can't be any worse than FaxSTF under OS X. And since it's free... Well, bye bye Smith Micro. Better improve your product fast.

Expose is a really cool innovation. I'm constanly Apple/Option clicking on a dock icon to move other apps Windows out of the way. It'll be neat to see if I use Expose more to accomplish when it arrives...

The new Preview looks to do for PDF viewing what Safari did for web browsing on OS X - make it rock!

And finally, Fast User Switching will be a big boon for most users. I love how Apple one-upped MS by adding the slick transition. Very cool...

So, what's your fave new feature?

Nothing really... :( I would say iChat but that is for Jaguar too! I hope they will improve Panther A LOT before it will be released... :(

sneak preview of panther ??? they barely showed us anything. it was probably something like a Teaser trailer :)

anyways. i really really liked expose, i find it difficult and annoyin to manage my windows sometimes and ive been waitin a long time for somethin like this. every1 should check the small demonstration on apples website of how it actually works. i find it impressive and very useful ..

they said 100 new features and we only saw 10. im sure theres at least 1 or 2 more things that should be rather interesting:)

Originally posted by serpicolugnut

On the down side, three developers today (Extensis, insider software, and DiamondSoft) who make Mac font managers have been put on notice that their products better get some innovative new features in the next 6 months or they will be rendered useless....
Down side? That is the point of competition. These companies had better make their products competitive or they will die off. Right now there are not too many people who are happy with the pro level font management solutions available on OS X, if Panther's native font manager can give these companies a kick in the pants, then by all means kick away.

Personally I am looking forward to Exposé the most, as it looks like something I could really use.

My only real gripe is that they made the finder brushed metal, which doesn't really fit with the rest of the system IMHO.

Any way, what i think is that, you need atleast a 64MB video card to enjoy the visual effects in panther.

The powerbooks with 32MB video memory will not suffice :(

Need to buy a bigger better hardware before panther is released

Fav features... pretty much everything announced for Panther.

I don't mind the brushed finder, but would probably change back to the normal UI if the option was available as a pref.

Biggest relief was announcment of the Fast Switching... even though it isn't clear at present if you can relog-in as the same user, I am looking forward to having different development areas (and, my fiancée being able to log-out blah blah blah.)

At last, an Open and Save dialog box that'll stop me from tutting every time I open or save! ;) (always, wanted a haxie to allow the addition of a audio 'tut' everytime I clicked Open or Save.

Expose looks nice, but does this replace Minimise in Place facility that necer made Jaguar? I would like this as an option as well (unless Expose proves it to be useless).

Mail, i am really looking forward to this, checkout the lowdown on Apple's site, you can print labels off as well.

Fast user switching looks prety neat, i'd like to see a video of it really.

I don't however really have much of a use for it in it's intended manner though, but I'm hoping it will also be able to provide a very sleak multiple workspace solution if used not quite as intended.

Did they mention the GUI speed, or are they relaying on the speed of the system? I like what I seen.

Down side? That is the point of competition. These companies had better make their products competitive or they will die off. Right now there are not too many people who are happy with the pro level font management solutions available on OS X, if Panther's native font manager can give these companies a kick in the pants, then by all means kick away.

I agree. All three companies have had almost two years to get it together and only Diamondsoft and Suitcase have gotten in the ballpark, and even then, their product isn't quite as good as it was under OS 9.

But there is a downside. When Apple adds a feature to OS X that was provided by a third party, that developer may bolt the platform. And the fewer developers, the bigger the perception that the Mac has no software.

Extensis will probably weather the change. They have some great products in Mask Pro, Intellihance and Photoframe. Diamondsoft will take a bigger hit since Font Reserve is their main product. Insider Software is in deep trouble. Their product was the shoddiest of the bunch, and it was their bread and butter...

i realy didnt like hte new finder gui its to xp like, i like collum veiw,but it will proby change :)

ad

The new speedy search (real time!?) is something that I really like and of course Pixlet! WOW! Amazing stuff!

The same could be said for Preview! Speed Demon!

Boom! :D ;) :)

Don't forget that the nice little graphic gadgets, find functions and preview where probably demoed with the Dual G5 2x2gig.
So what will the speed be like with G3 or G4 systems?

But there is a downside. When Apple adds a feature to OS X that was provided by a third party, that developer may bolt the platform. And the fewer developers, the bigger the perception that the Mac has no software.

Extensis will probably weather the change. They have some great products in Mask Pro, Intellihance and Photoframe. Diamondsoft will take a bigger hit since Font Reserve is their main product. Insider Software is in deep trouble. Their product was the shoddiest of the bunch, and it was their bread and butter...
Developers leaving the platform is a decided down side, but many times its the price that must be paid in order to get software that works.

Apple's announced features for Font Book leave quite a few pro-level features out, so there is plenty of room for Extensis and Diamondsoft to improve and innovate. So far they have been awfully reluctant do to this, and it has been to their detriment. There is also the decided plus side to this, if Apple can write software to do what Font Book does, that means that they must have fixed the bugs that were purported to be the reasons behind the lackluster quality of Extensis and Diamondsoft's products.

Originally posted by Meltdown
Don't forget that the nice little graphic gadgets, find functions and preview where probably demoed with the Dual G5 2x2gig.
So what will the speed be like with G3 or G4 systems?

If I'm not mistaken Jobs said that he was using a Dual G4/1.42 for the Demos!

Even so, the search thing it was like a "real time" search/display results thing similar to the one in iTunes! I think that even on a lowly G3 you will see LOADS of speed improvements!

Why? Because we have a whole new Finder PLUS a new File System and other new even for OS X Unix stuff... At least I believe that we will see even on "older" G3/G4 computers a speed boost while using Panther... :p :D

Originally posted by hulkaros
Nothing really... :( I would say iChat but that is for Jaguar too! I hope they will improve Panther A LOT before it will be released... :(
Originally posted by hulkaros
The new speedy search (real time!?) is something that I really like and of course Pixlet! WOW! Amazing stuff!

The same could be said for Preview! Speed Demon!

Make up your mind!
I can't wait for panther - fast user switching will be AWESOME! If only I didn't have to run it on a three or four generation old computer... Mabye I get lucky and earn a new one somehow.

I like the "file vault" feature that automatically 128bit encrypts everything in your home folder. Mmmm...security blanket.

Also, Font Book looks like a great solution for font management. On the down side, three developers today (Extensis, insider software, and DiamondSoft) who make Mac font managers have been put on notice that their products better get some innovative new features in the next 6 months or they will be rendered useless....

I think there's still room for a 3rd party font management solution for Pro users. Steve didn't really drill in to the Font book enough to show if it ties into Quark/InDesign as well as the others do.

That doesn't mean that Apple won't try to surpass Extensis (and the others), but for now, I still see pro design firms buying the 3rd party solution in addition to the built-in fount management system of Panther.

So, what's your fave new feature?

I'd have to go with Expose, I can really see a need for the. I don't use multi-user accounts on my machine, so I doubt I'll ever use the feature, still, it would be nice for the test accounts I have on my machine, and I suppose I could set up a "family" environment on my mac at home... but I'm the primary user on all my machines.

Still, I want to see that cube transition. :)

Back