Filename Length Limit

griz

Registered
I have a very bizarre request. Does anyone know if there is a way to limit down the filename length in OSX back to the 31 character limit of OS9?
I work in a mixed environment and while the transition is taking place it would be nice to keep the OS X systems from being able to enter more than 27 dot 3. Truncation is messing with database access between these systems. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Scott

No idea. I guess you just can't. You can _count_ of course, but that's not really a 'perfect' solution. Might, however, be the only one. Just tell everyone to use 15 characters at max. and you'll end up with people using 20. ;-)

Actually OS 9 supports long file names just like Panther. It is the classic OS 9 applications that are your limiting factor. For example Office v.X, which only runs under OS X, only supports 31 character file names. I don't know what apps you are using, but you may be forced to require your OS X users to revert to the older classic versions of those applications. :eek:

No OS9 App (In OS9 or in Classic) that I know of can save with more than 31 characters.
If an OSX app creates a file with longer than 31 characters and it is viewed across a network using an OS9 machine, then the filename is truncated on that OS9 machine
We need to make sure that the OSX users save with no more than 27dot3.

What about making a folder action with applescript, that would check for creation or renaming of files, and squawk angrily if someone tries to make the name too long?

I can't suggest how to do it beyond that, because I don't know applescript.

Back