Files on DVD vanish

Jimbolgs

Registered
Recently bought a new mac, so backed up some files off my old one to DVD-R.

Checked the DVD worked and then got my new mac.

When I put to DVD in my new mac, the DVD mounts but the files have no icons and when I click on them they disappear completely.

If I try to copy the files off I get an error saying something like "can't find files."

My friend took the DVD home and tried it on his windows PC, no probs so wrote a DVD+R, but that does the same in my new mac.

Any ideas?

PS: DVD is Pioneer 108 which I fitted myself, but the DVD rom which came fitted had the same problem.

eMac 1.25 running 10.3.5

boot into the panther DVD (boot and hold c) and instead of installing the os once more, go to the Disk Utility, choose the volume and press on repair permissions. Do it few times until no error is reported.

You don't repair permissions from the CD, only from Disk Utility in the Utility folder.

Well, you _can_ do it from the CD, only you don't need to (like with checking/repairing the harddrive...).

If you go to the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and do a good old "ls -la" for the DVD, does it show the files normally?

I tried repairing permiissions (I think) but as far as console is concerned, you may as well be speaking japanese - sorry.

In disk utility the Verify Disk Permissions is greyed out when I click on the DVD.

Any further ideas?

Is there any way I can extract all the info?

Back