FileVaults

Doesn't seem to be there. Or maybe it just requires a really fast processor, and won't appear at all on older computers. Who knows?

Now that u make me recheck :) ...

Security has the same icon as FileVault on my System Preferences.
I think it's this.

I'm pretty sure that when I've installed Panther I've checked encrypt feature for my home, but now I can't find this option inside Security.

:confused: :confused:

File Vault is not in the Panther WWDC preview. This was clarified at WWDC, but it of course will be implemented in the final version.

According to the info on this page at Apple about FileVault it would appear that FileVault is, in fact, implemented in the DP.

I have a second admin account set up on my system. If I try to navigate this other user's directory from Panther I'm not presented with folders with "Do Not Enter"-type signs, as with Jaguar. Instead, it just shows the name of the folder with no icon whatsoever; nor is any information about the folders displayed, as in Jaguar. Also Secure Empty Trash is present as well as requiring a password to wake from sleep.

See the attached for comparison of what the Finder presents in Jaguar (left) versus Panther (right) --

Originally posted by LordOphidian
It doesn't say any where on that page that FileVault is in the DP. It only says that it will be in Panther.

Hmm, yeah. Well I didn't say that the page said it was in the DP. I just said that looking at the features listed, it would appear that FileVault was implemented.

Originally posted by fryke
@cybergoober: actually, this is a bug rather than the filevault feature.

How's that? You're given no information about any of the folders in another user's home directory except the two folders that others normally would have limited access to - Public and Sites. Seems like that's how it should work to me. Then once that user has logged in, the data is decrypted "on the fly".

I mean OK, I'm sure it's not completely implemented (hello, DP1). But you can't argue that it's not there when you compare what is present in the DP with the info Apple has listed on its own web-page.

Oh well, just a theory. I suppose we won't know for sure until GM rolls out.

cheers

Back