Finder and Harddrive not working

Hoohaa93

Registered
I have a Mac OS X version 10.5.2

Yesterday I was sharing networks with my families home computer and started to copy picture files onto my macbook. It said to copy all of the files it would take about 2 hours. So I let my macbook do its thing, and went to go look at it 5 hours later. It said it had copied about 4000 pictures (those were all that I wanted to copy), but it wasn't even halfway completed, it still had 2 hours left, and the loading bar hadn't moved in forever.

So I tried to just press the "x" to stop copying, but it wouldn't go away. I tried to restart my computer, but the macbook said it couldn't until the thing had finished copying. I did a "command-alt-esc" and since the only option on there was my Finder, i ended that. The toolbar at the top disappeared, but my dock at the bottom was still there. When I went to turn off my computer, it the screen wouldn't go black. I think I must have damaged my system when I forced quit the Finder, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Now I can't see my Hard Drive icon, and I can't into my Finder folder. I can't log off my user name ( I tried making another one to log into, but it wont let me) and I can't turn my computer off without taking the battery out. What do I do?

Thank you
-Annie
starr3989@aol.com

Have You Tried The Old 3 Finger Salute?--press And Hold The "comm" + Opt + P & R Keys At Startup? Hold Them Til You Have Heaard 3 Separate Chimes From Your Computor And Then Release For The Restart. Good Luck !
Dickster------------------------------------------------------------------------

'So I tried to just press the "x" to stop copying, but it wouldn't go away' - that is because MacOS X launches 'ditto' to do the copying. To kill 'ditto', launch 'Activity Monitor' (in the '/Applications/Utilities/' folder), select 'ditto', and click the 'Quit Process' toolbar icon button. A drop down sheet will appear. Click on the 'Force Quit' button.

'The toolbar at the top disappeared, ...' - do you mean that the 'menu bar' disappeared? If so, this is a normal 'shutdown' process result.

'... and I can't [see] into my Finder folder.' - there is no such item called a 'Finder' folder; unless - you created a folder (somewhere) and titled it 'Finder'. Is that what you did?

Not mentioned was the type of network used to (attempt to) copy the files.

Network types:
Wired Ethernet (directly, or via a switch or router),
Wireless Ethernet (802.11?, where '?' is 'a', 'b', 'g', or 'n'), or
FireWire.

Nor specified was 'my families home computer's make and model number, and operating system.

Back