Finder icon missing from Dock

Rac7hel

Registered
Hi,
I recently changed my Finder icon by replacing the .icns files in my CoreServices folder. The icon appears as it should in dialog boxes, but doesn't show up at all in the Dock. Instead there's just a blank space where it's supposed to be. It's still perfectly functional, but annoying. :-S

I've tried logging out/restarting, reseting the dock, deleting the dock plist, and creating a new user account (it's still missing on the new account). I'm running out of things to try, does anyone have a suggestion?

You could try to use Onyx…

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20070

…to clear the system and user caches and then restart.

In any case, it's best NOT to fiddle with the CoreServices. You can do major damage and render your system unusable. To safely change your system icons use a third party program like CandyBar (shareware) or LiteIcon (freeware).

Wow. CandyBar still does that? I think I had that issue when I tried that software but that was like in 10.1 or 10.2 latest... so talking about 2002.

Personally I avoid messing with the system unless I absolutely have to. You're dealing with third party sw which is altering or replacing system files. That will never be 100% safe. The only time I have done that is when I jailbroke my iPhone. If I want to change a particular icon on my Mac I just use copy & paste for that icon only. Never had a problem with that.

Back