Finder - Where's the files?

padishahemperor

UNIX Powered Dervish
Firstly, genuine apologies if this has been covered before, I've searched but not found anything relating to this (maybe I'm not too sure what to search for).

Sometimes when I open a finder window and expect to see folders and files, I see nothing. Going up a level and back sometimes fixes it, sometimes not.

I'm running Panther 10.3.8 on a 512MB Mac mini, it has had a reinstall and the problem existed before too. I was using a 256MB machine until recently and that also showed the same problem. I've also noticed it on the internal HD, USB2 external drives and mounted Flash drives.

Any advice or assistance would be welcome. I find it surprising that Apple have not fixed it.

Is this a bug in the OS?

I've encountered something similar, in both Icon and Column View. Seems to happen when a folder is modified and resized (Icon View) or when saving a file to an aliased folder (default Column View.) In the Icon case, the items are there but just hidden-- they are revealed upon scrolling upwards. In the Column case, I usually have to go back and forth between levels, as you described.

This is not a bug, but rather yet another clever trick of Apple's to keep us on our toes. Just like when my calendar got stuck on 1 April. :mad: ;)

Or rather, it's a bug in the Finder. Happens rarely, though. Still: Something to hit Apple with feedback and bug reports. Until things like this are REALLY solved, we can't consider any version of 10.x "final", can we? I hope it will be solved before 11.0. ;)

Back