Firefox super-lag!?

atariboy70

Registered
Greetings folks:

I'd switched to Firefox a year or two ago from Safari after some frustration with Safari's bugs...but since I'd updated to Firefox 3.0.7 it has become ridiculously slow. Here's a typical scenario:

Opening Firefox is no problem. Google page appears in a jiffy. But as soon as I clear the address bar and attempt to type in a URL, the beachball comes and Firefox literally freezes for a few minutes, even making it hard for me to switch to any other app that's open. I attempt to type in a complete URL regardless, and it takes Firefox forever to receive the input. The only way I can describe it is like the computer was typing in super-slow motion. On top of that, I can hear this intermittent "grind/whir" sound of the processor while it lags, I suppose struggling to process the input...sheesh!

BTW, if I clicked on any of the bookmarked pages in the bar beneath the addy bar, it goes directly to them w/o problem. It's only when I attempt to type anything in the address bar that the lag occurs.

This has become a total frustration of mine, especially now that I'm doing web design and need Firefox's Firebug add-on to identify CSS elements on the fly in the midst of tight deadlines. In the meantime, Safari works, but it doesn't have that feature.

Can anybody help? Thanks!

Do you have a ton of bookmarks, or perhaps a very, very large cache in FireFox?

The reason I ask is because you mention that it happens when you try and enter text in the URL bar. It could be that Firefox's auto-complete thingy is searching all your bookmarks and history for auto-complete possibilities, and if those two things are super-large, it could cause the hang you describe.

Back