Firewire gone

rfm

Registered
Really odd. This morning I discovered my Firewire ports don't work anymore. Neither my CD burner nor my LaCie pocket drive work. There is power coming over the cable because the LaCie harddrive is spinning but the Finder just doesn't mount them.

The problem may have been there for a week or so because I haven't used any of my firewire drives in the mean time. Last week I installed the iPod updater, everything worked fine then.

Who knows what may have caused this?

Robert

I am having the same problem. Everything was fine until 2 days ago and now my firewire port isn't responding for any device. My iPod is charging but wont show up on the desktop, my burner can't be found and my 160 GB drive is in lala land. All devices are working as I have tried them on other machines. I have done clean installs and updated the OS...if you get an answer can you contact me.

Much appreciated

sounds frighteningly familiar...

Last week I had the same problem (iPod charging, but not visible on the desktop / external 250GB drive "M.I.A." / additional slave computer not "showing up for work" (BAD slave!)

...in addition, my PB's internal modem was "hanging up unexpectedly" every couple of minutes...

I re-installed OSX (10.2.1) and then upgraded again to 10.2.4

All seems to be OK again now - but very strange - my original OS came with my PB, and upgraded via System Preference's "software update"...

Sorry I can't give an explanation as to "why?" - just my personal experience as to how I resolved the problem...

Thanks for your reply. I have done the following (and it has taken all day)

Reinstalled 10.2, Upgraded to 10.2.4, Ran Hardware test, reported no problems
Ran Disk First Aid, Ran Norton Utilities, Ran software update

Still nothing...

Wow,

Crazy I was just going to back up some data on my Ipod and transfer it over to my PC (this has been a daily occurence for me for the last year) And nothing I have two other Firewire drives a fire cdrw and a HD. I tried using a brand new Belkin cord 6 pin and 4 to test out a theory. What I think happens for those that may use their drives a bit and plug and unplug, something in the connector in the macs got damaged. Using the 4 pin I get nothing. Using the 6 pin I get juice and the drive lites up but no go. I am wondering if my daily use of the port somehow bent something that shouldn't or pushed a connector out of place. Who knows. I don't think Apple had intended that people plug and unplug from the firewire port 500 times a year... those connectors are so thin something has to give. So, after running over to Compusa 2 hour drive for me. I get a new Firewire card for my baby plug it in and what the hell do you know everything works like a charm. Of course I hope the ports don't go out on my powerbook cause then I'm screwed.

Good luck to all

Had the firewire go out at work on our "new" AGP graphics 450 MHz - couldn't see the LaCie CDRW no matter what cable or what port I plugged it in to (even the one on the mobo).

Reinstalled 9.2.2 and 10.2.4 and everything was fine, but couldn't see it for anything until I did that. Have no clue why....

spacecommander... i agree - it takes a long time (and when it doesn't work, it's a complete pain...)

moav, i take your point, but I bought my PB on 28th December 2002 - surely a firewire port should last this long?!?! (i also tried using a new firewire cable, but this made no difference)

irrespective of this, why wouldn't Apple expect people to plug / unplug twice a day? isn't that the joy of backing up with firewire on a portable computer? (i.e. whatever you do during the day, when you get home you can quickly ensure that your data is backed-up and secure)

i only started having this problem with 10.2.4 - up to this point OS X has been awe-inspiring in its stability. i switched from using 95/98/2000/NT/XP a year ago after 16 years of weekly blue screens, approximately 40% of total downtime, and 100% of computer-related hassle.

here's hoping that 10.2.5 (and later, panther) sorts this out... i'm still holding "the faith"!

An interesting, if somewhat irritating, development!

i've recently had an adsl line installed in my flat over in bangkok...

i bought a micronet sp3350a ethernet router separately from the isp (asianet)

"if it doesn't work, we don't support this", they said. "we only support the benq modem."

"fine", says i, "i'll risk it..."

well, two weeks of driving myself to distraction trying to make the thing work, i finally give in and phoned asianet to tell them to send the benq modem across.

the guy arrived this morning and tried to install on my pb. no good. so he tried it on his "big, black brick" - immediate success.

"your ethernet port doesn't work" he says.

"don't be silly", i reply... "but try it on airport anyway." the connection is there, as i can see by the fact that weatherpop tells me it's 30 degrees outside, but absolutely nothing in terms of getting onto the internet or using entourage...

so he tries it on my girlfriend's pb - immediate success!

i'm about to launch my pb at the wall, when it suddenly occurs to me that i didn't upgrade her os the last time we had problems with 10.2.4 - i checked, and, sure enough, she's running 10.2.1 still from the last re-install process...

i overwrote my 10.2.4 and put it back to 10.2.1 and, 10 minutes later, i'm connected via the benq router...

5 minutes later, and i'm now writing this from across the room, using my airport...

in my experience, 10.2.4 has caused firewire, the internal modem, the ethernet port and airport to go absolutely loopy over here... basically, every problem i've experienced with os x can be attributed to this version...

fortunately, it's working again now that i've "regressed" to 10.2.1 - i was suffering MS deja vu!

:D

Overwrote 10.2.1 with the 10.2.5 installer - everything now working perfectly...

One happy bunny... :p

Thank you, Apple!

The Firewire connectors should be fine for a long time, even if you unplug them daily. They are very robust.

In fact, the small 4 pin connectors were on the old Nintendo Gameboys for the linkcable, so they were tested by kids for years before they made their way to Firewire. That's why they choose that design, it was tested.

Well, after my initial posting I tried all sorts of things. I thought that perhaos the 10.2.4 upgrade has messed things up so I reinstalled Jaguar (keeping all my program files): no luck - firewire was still gone. I then did a complete reinstall, thinking that some piece of 3rd party software or the iPod upgrade caused was the culprit. Still no luck. I upgraded to 10.2.5 but again to no avail.

My PowerMac is now at the Apple service centre. I think it must be a hardware problem. Perhaps I blew Firewire up when connecting my Formac DV converter, or by unplugging it without ejecting the drive first (I sometimes forget).

Thanks for all your advice and lets see what the Apple technicians can do. Should have it back in 10 or 14 days.

also similar problem:

my firewire drive just no longer shows up.
has worked fine for the past 2 months since i got it.
tested the drive on 2 other macs and it works fine.

tried an ipod and another firewire drive on my mac and those don't work.

they don't show up in the disk utility. system profiler shows the firewire port but doesn't show any information.

using an emac. could it be that the firewire ports have blown? or is it a OS problem?

HateEternal said:
What OS version do you have?
Have you done any software updates recently?

just using 10.3.8 - haven't done any software updates. did try to recover some lost files using norton utilities and some other softwares. will do a complete reinstall of OX 10.3.8 and start a fresh.

Here are some suggestions to get the FireWires going:

1. Shut down and disconnect your firewire drive leaving nothing is connected to the firewire ports.
2. Restart, and use Disk Utility to repair permissions on your internal.
3. Shut down, and disconnect the AC power from the computer and your drive; also remove battery.
4. Let computer sit unpowered and disconnected for15 minutes.
5. Reconnect AC power to only the computer and reinsert battery.
6. Restart computer.
7. Verify that firewire ports are visible using System Profiler.
8. Reconnect your firewire drive, and refresh window in System Profiler to rescan the firewire bus, and confirm that drive is visible.
9. Repair disk and permissions on the firewire drive.

yes i am also getting the dreaded notice "firewire no information" in my system profiler. i found tech help at:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95037

this gets my firewire back and working - until i connect a firewire device like an external HD or DV camera and then it goes off & i get the firewire no information. The same leads/devices work fine with my PB which is running an older ver of OSX - so i'm sure it's too do with the newer OS. i wonder if Apple have sorted it out in OS10.4?

i have also discovered this info (though it is a little dated now)

So I've been plugging and unplugging these devices constantly. I this period, the FW bus on my G4 has died twice. Since the ports are on the logic board, this is a $1200 repair (under warranty, thankfully). After the last one, I asked the tech about hot plugging. Suffice to say, what he told me has meant I now have a $50 4 port FW card in my machine and I just use that. Certainly any iMac I care about does not get hot-plugged into any FW device with it's own AC power. Maybe it's the higher voltage here: maybe I'm being over cautious - but if the FW dies on ane of those, you're screwed.

[We quoted reader Tim Chong last June, who said, "According to this article by Medical Mac, and this announcement by Ratoc Corporation (both articles are pretty long and technical and in Japanese), basically it says that if you plug bus-powered FireWire devices into a Mac while the Mac's power is on there is a possibility of the FireWire port being damaged." -MacInTouch]
///
this was from http://www.macintouch.com/firewirereader02.html
from a post on Fri, 07 Mar 2003
i wonder if this is the answer?

Further on in this post it says:
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:59:07 -0600
Subject: FireWire port shorts
Regarding the recent flurry of posts on FireWire ports being "blown" from hot-swaps:

I (unfortunately) have had direct experience on this topic on several occasions. Shortly after installing OS X (about a year ago, and reported to MacInTouch, I think), I attempted to create a terabyte-plus daisy-chained array of FireWire high capacity drives (ranging from 75-120 GB, at the time) as a low-cost alternative to a pricey SCSI array ... about 10 in all. (I'm a scientist on a limited grant budget, and need lots of concurrent but non-critical online storage without investing in an expensive server solution).

I quickly learned that hot-swapping was a huge mistake in this configuration. Not only did I fry my G4/DP800's onboard FireWire bus, as well as a replacement OrangeLink card, I took out several of the drives' FireWire bridges in the process (interestingly, leaving the IDE drives within the FireWire enclosures mostly intact, and recoverable if used as internal IDEs). The problem here is that once something in the chain goes, it's nearly impossible to determine whether the problem is in an individual drive's bridge, or the onboard bus itself, or to reassemble the drive chain, without putting other drives at risk.

I finally learned that avoidance was the best solution. The following steps have prevented further failures. I have no idea which are true "solutions" and which are simply overkill, but they're probably all good ideas.

External FireWire drives should simply not be hot-swapped, whatever the specs may say.

Long daisy chains are not a good idea. I invested in a FW hub from Granite Digital and now have 3 sets of 4-disk chains. The hub at least gives me some solace that there's something in between the various chains which might intercept a short (? no idea if this is electrically valid, but it makes me feel better). OS X seems mostly happy with this configuration, though on rare occasions I run into problems with intensive copies from one FW drive to another.

The 3' (or longer) cheap FW cables which ship with most external FW drives are overkill and a bad idea for daisy chaining. (Probably obvious in retrospect). I invested in high-quality 6" patch cables from Granite Digital to keep the cable runs as short as possible.

I keep all drives on a given chain plugged to the same power strip. I try to keep as much of the overall system as possible connected to the same UPS and/or wall outlet(s). I don't know enough about electrical wiring to know if this is at all meaningful, but if small voltage differences are a potential culprit, this seems like a good idea.
Even given all these steps, I'm still edgy about hot-plugging expensive devices such as my DV Cam into the system, and depending on my ambient paranoia level, will cold-swap them instead.

I still think FireWire drives are a much better solution for maintaining large amounts of concurrent online storage, than, say, a SCSI array, especially given the miserable history of 3rd party SCSI card manufacturers' updating their drivers for new MacOS releases, and the cost of equally-sized SCSI drives. But users should not assume that the "wonder-specs" of FireWire mean that constructing such a system is either trivial or should be treated casually.

[After a couple weeks of hot-swapping a new AC-powered external Firewire hard drive and connecting our iBook in Firewire target mode, we somehow killed the Firewire ports on our G4 450 DP desktop Mac. An inexpensive PCI Firewire card solved the problem -MacInTouch]

Back