Registered
ok... I have a SUN Microsystems Multipak with tons
of disks inside...

can I just get a belkin adapter to convert from
the SCSI connector to FIREWIRE and plug it into
my MAC?

do I have to do something special to format the
drives or what?

Nope. Unless some one else can prove me wrong, there is no firewire adapter. But there is a SCSI to USB. And Belkin makes them.

on belkins website they DO HAVE a scsi to firewire adapter...

what I'm curious is do i have to format these disks somehow in a special way? This multipak has 6 disks inside that all feed through one single scsi connector....

If the only thing you are doing differently is running it through the SCSI to firewire converter, I don't think you'd have to do anything special to the disks to make it work correctly.

-Juxel

juxel.... what about format? these disks were originally hooked up to a SUN machine running unix... they won't just be recognized will they?

Do you know what file system the drives are formatted in? if they're UFS you're in luck, OS X supports it natively. Otherwise you can find loadable kernel modules that will allow access to many other formats.

If you take the time you should be able to make them work. If you don't care about what's on them when it says this disk is not recognizable do you want to initalize it or whatever, just go through that.

-Juxel

Geesh, I guess I should read next time. I was under the impression that he was wanting to transfer some info from one computer to the next.

If you're just wanting to use the disks with no regard for the info on them Disk utility will format the drives if it doesn't have the option on the error message that pops on the screen.

i don't care about the data on them... just want to take it from the office and use it as storage on my mac..

does anyone have any experience with an adaptor like the belkin scsi to firewire connector?

Originally posted by Rhino_G3
Do you know what file system the drives are formatted in? if they're UFS you're in luck, OS X supports it natively. Otherwise you can find loadable kernel modules that will allow access to many other formats.

Actually thats not true at all. UFS is the name of a filesystem on many different UNIX systems, but it's the same in name only. UFS is really just a catchall name for Unix FileSystem. Some UFS systems are built off of Berkley FFS (Fast File System) but not all. Some UFS file systems have journalling, some have enchanced ACL's, others have different block sizes, or different headers on the file systems. And, even the same filesystem from different platforms of the same OS are not compatible. For instance a UFS filesystem from Solaris SPARC is not compatible with a UFS filesystem from the same version of Solaris on x86 due to the different endianess of SPARC and x86 (SPARC is big endian and x86 is little endian).

Brian

Back