Forcing a preferences update

lombarke

Registered
Does anybody know how I would go about forcing preferences to be pushed out immediately from an OD server? For instance, on the Windows side, AD will force a group policy update every hour +/- a half hour. Can OD be set to update its policy (user/group/computer preferences) in such a way? Or is there any way to manually force it? Perhaps something I could even script on the client side to update every x-minutes? A restart of the MCX client, or something?

Thanks very much for any help or ideas!

it appears that there was a way to do this in tiger by restarting mxcd.app (/System/Library/CoreServices/mxcd.app -f) - but that doesn't appear to exist in Leopard (both client and servers are 10.5.3...i should have specified that). Anybody know if / what the equivalent is in Leopard?

So, I guess the question is, do you need to reset MCX every few minutes? MCX is applied at login by default, so each time the user logs into the machine, the MCX should be reapplied.

What is it that you are trying to apply as a managed client setting that often? :)

Michael

i'm not trying to apply anything specific, repeatedly...just want to make sure policy is enforced at specific intervals. another concern is if there's something that needs to be changed immediately, i'd like to know that i don't have to wait for that user to logoff/login for it to apply...it's a fairly major concern for management here, actually, as we're quasi-government...

so yeah, any thoughts / ideas would be very welcome!

Back