Fried iPod?

mr. k

Registered
A few day's ago I had some problems syncing my iPod (3rd gen 15GB) with my iTunes Library. I would hook up the iPod and open iTunes, and then iTunes would just hang there and freeze. I solved that problem by booting the iPod in disk mode and then it synced fine.
But then the next time I tried to sync it it didn't work again, and this time it wouldn't even show up in iTunes. It seems that anything that tries to access the iPod just hangs forever, and I can't make either the iPod Software Updater work with the iPod to restore it or Disk Utility to repair the disk.
I don't think that I have a problem with the firewire port on my computer, because I have an 80GB firewire drive which works just fine, but maybe there is a problem with the iPod hardware. I think that the real problem is with the iPod's hard drive, because I can't boot it up in normal mode. It gives me the file with a caution sign over it.
61003_1.gif

This seems like a giant pain and so far I haven't been able to solve it, and would really like to fix it without shipping the iPod to apple for a cool $255 and change. Anyone have any good ideas?

Back