From OS10.3.9 to OS10.4

brensan100

Registered
I'm sure this query must have been covered already but several searches haven't found it.

I need to install Tiger on my two G4 laptops, [ibook and powerbook]and not sure whether it's better to buy a full install pack or if an upgrade will be as good. I'm running 10.3.9 on both. It's difficult to find these Tiger OS's in the UK through recognised outlets and I have [very, very]foolishly bought from ebay an original 10.4 install disc set, which produced an immediate kernel panic, after costing me £60+, so you can guess I want to spend wisely this time.

Basically I'm hoping for it all to be as simple as possible [a bit like me].

Thanks to anyone who can help.

... I'm running 10.3.9 on both. It's difficult to find these Tiger OS's in the UK through recognised outlets and I have [very, very]foolishly bought from ebay an original 10.4 install disc set, which produced an immediate kernel panic, after costing me £60+, so you can guess I want to spend wisely this time.

If your "new" disc is gray, then it is a System Restore disc from someone's new Mac. You cannot use this type of disc to install the OS on a different model Mac. You need a retail distribution disc for MacOS X 10.4.

Thank you - I found that out the hard way.

What I am asking is whether to go for a full install or an upgrade pack for 10.4. I will buy one or the other but am keen to get it right this time round. What is the best [as opposed to the cheapest] thing to do.

Apple does not sell "upgrade packs." However, all retail copies of MacOS X are intended to update the OS on a computer that shipped with an earlier version of MacOS or MacOS X. They can be used to install a fresh OS on a blank hard drive or to update an existing installation. You may buy a Family Pack, pay full retail price, or pay the education price. They all get you the same software.

Whew, thank you! You're a star. So presumably the upgrade packs/discs I have seen are not the genuine article. I'll definitely go for the full installation now and play safe.
You can't imagine the relief of this.

Tiger install DVDs are in short supply. Tiger is no longer available at the Apple Store but is still available for $129 by calling Apple Phone Sales @ 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753). For other sources, do a Google search for MA453Z/A and M9639Z/A . Also look on eBay. Be sure & buy a retail version (black with silver X) and not a model specific version (gray).

Also check this web store http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/index.cgi?command=dispitem&type=sku&sku=19521

Possible Alternative - OS X Tiger 10.4 Upgrade DVD $74.95
http://www.yourmacstore.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=376&bc=no

Cheers, Tom ;)

Thanks Tom

I am in UK but have identified both the full retail version and the upgrade version you mentioned, although through suppliers unfamiliar to me.

Misterme, who responded earlier, did suggest that the upgrade version was not an official apple one, but anyway, I have decided to play absolutely safe and buy the full retail version.

Thanks for the references, which I'll definitely use if I get stuck.
Bren

Back