Frozen on logout/restart/shut down

Perishingflames

Registered
Lately, I've been noticing problems when logging off and restarting/shutting down my mac. It goes as far as to only display the wallpaper, then is completely frozen. I can get back the finder and the top menubar (no time bar) by clicking menu on my apple remote (little snitch automatically denies the connection, so when I close out of front row, it will show that window and thus I can go into recent applications to get into finder).

How would you suggestion diagnosing this so it doesn't happen again, and is there a way to log out when it's like this? I've been able to open the windows equiv. of control-alt-delete but it shows no applications running. Activity Monitor shows the main processes as pmTool and kernel_task.

Any help is appreciated.

Have you EVER done any software maintenance on your Mac? Have you ever heard of Onyx or Yasu and rung the cleaning routines? What Mac running what version of OS X are you running?

Software maintance? What do you mean by that. I have repaired disk permissions when needed, but nothing software related. I obtained Onyx through an application bundle, though haven't messed around with it much. Running leopard 10.5.6.

In onyx, should I clean up the 'system' and 'user' leaving the default options checked?

Last edited:
Back