G3 ongoing problems

xgipper

Registered
Hi

After ongoing problems with my G3 which I could never fix - see this thread from some time ago http://www.macosx.com/help/qview.php?questionid=9606 - a friend suggested I should re-install 10.2.8 given that I had originally 'installed it' by Carbon Copy Cloning it from the original, smaller, hard drive.

So I did an archive and install today, but it is still misbehaving, now randomly logging me out, or closing windows, for example.

I'm now wondering if the larger hard drive I put in when I bought the machine could be faulty? Any ideas on what to look for, or whether it might be useful to provide some recent logs to shed light on what might be the problem, please? I don't know if it's hard drive, memory, software or what.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

For some reason that link isn't working for me... it's coming up with a blank page.

If your G3 machine is a pre-B&W machine, then you must install OS X in the first 8GB of the drive -- meaning, if your drive is larger than 8GB, you'll have to create two or more partitions: one 8GB partition which must reside in the first 8GB of the drive for the OS X installation, then another partition for the rest of the space on the drive.

Common symptoms of not installing in the first 8GB on a pre-B&W G3 machine are the inability to install OS X completely, operating system weirdness, random logouts, kernel panics, data corruption, and other oddities.

If this doesn't pertain to your situation, can you describe your setup in greater detail so we can further troubleshoot?

Back