G4 new purchase ?

powermac

iMac Dual 2.0 17'
How many would buy a refrib G4 Powerbook? Does it make sense to invest in the G4 processor at this time?

To make a long story short, I have a 15'PB G4. My son tripped over the power-cord, and yes, the laptop hit the floor. Although it still works, it has some dents and bruises. At times I get periodical small problems.

First, one of the memory slots is not available for use. Although this is unrelated to the fall. The genius bar guy told me the logic board is failing, and had to move the memory chip to the other slot. When the memory was in the other slot the Mac just gave four beep, and flashed the light

Second, the DVD drive plays movies okay, and the drive still burns. Although when I leave full screen view when watching a movie and return back to the finder, the top menu bar takes on the background of the screen. I have to reboot to fix it. Rarely the drive won't easily eject a disk.

Physically, the laptop has the lower left corner pushed up, and a dent on the side. A small crease is in the upper left corner of the screen, although not noticable, nor effects the screen in any ways. Also the laptop is a bit lopsided.

Does investing in another G4 Mac make sense? I am pleased with the performance, I am not a power user. On the other hand, not sure if it is a wise decision to get a G4 at this time. The laptop never leaves my desk, so I am not concerned with battery life either. The one advantage of getting another G4 is I will have spare parts ;)

I am not against MBP, just trying to get a feel for if G4 is wise investment. Just curious to see what other think.

Given the longer life of Apple hardware, I would go for the newer model. It's got options of running windows for those "couple of things" that won't go on the Mac. And it should keep getting software updates longer.

And it has the magnetic power connector for the next time someone trips over the lead...

if it never leaves your desk, get a new mini to replace your g4pb. unless you have apps that will run horribly on an intel mac that cost more to upgrade to universal versions then new hardware, don't get a g4. get any intel based mac, and you'd be better off, and have a much longer life, and smaller upgrade cost in the long run.

I decided to get a new Imac, since it never leaves my desk, go to the Soho store to get it today. I use my PB until it dies from the poor logic board. This way I have my first Intel Mac. Thanks for the feedback !!!!!

Back