Game crashes, takes video with it...

dmetzcher

Metzcher.com
While playing World of Warcraft for the last few months, I've noticed a problem that happens during higher framerates in the game where it will crash and take the video with it. My monitor will go blank, and it is as if I turned off the Mac Pro without turning off the monitor first. The game has crashed and appears (other players tell me this) to have kicked me off the game's server, but all other applications are still running. Plugging in my iPhone will charge it. Sound from events on the computer still play. A voice chat application (Ventrilo) that I use is still running and I can still talk to people signed on to it with me.

Does anyone have a clue as to how I can troubleshoot this? I've never had video issues like this before. It doesn't seem to happen in any other application. I have run a permissions repair but it hasn't helped.

Also, there seems to be a preset amount of time that I have to wait to get my video back. I power off the computer by holding down the power button on the front of it, but powering it back on, before about two or three minutes, does not give me video. If I try over and over, I get video back, but it's the same result if I just walk away for a few minutes, so now I'm just walking away and coming back a few minutes later, rather than powering it on and off over and over until the video comes back.

It also seems that doing a shutdown, and then trying to start the Mac Pro back up again results in the same "wait until I'm ready to turn on your video" issue. I wait a minute or two (seems like less time necessary than when the game crashes and takes the video with it) and the video comes up with the rest of the system. There is also a different fan sound when the video is going to come up, so I can tell if it's going to happen within about two or three seconds after pressing the power button. If it IS NOT going to come up with video, the fans run at normal startup speed indefinitely. If it IS going to come up with video, the fans run at normal speed, and then the speed decreases just before the video starts. Very weird. This started after I upgraded the Leopard, but I've read other forums where people say it is happening on Tiger as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back