GameCube uses PowerPC Processors

Yea but I was reading how to mod a GC and thought that was quite interesting that it has the same "power plant" (as i like to call it) as, say an iMac or iBook....

pretty cool...

how fast is the processor anyways?

and I just read on the Motorola page that the current G4 goes to 1 GHz+, and the G5's go from 800MHz to 2 GHz+... that means G5's gotta come soon... January is my guess... if not, then MWNY 2003!

it also said that it had new pipeline... is that why it goes from 800MHz??? I'd hate to see "The New 800MHz G5!"

PPCROADMAPGIF.gif

The Itaniums are shipping at 800MHz right now. I think Intel really shot themselves in the foot promoting the megahertz myth. Now their flagship (professional) processor is drastically lower than their "consumer" processors.

The GameCube (GCN) has a 485 MHz proprietary G3 from IBM. In addition, it has a 125 MHz(?) graphics chip.

I have a GCN at home, I like it much :D

By the way, that chart is inaccurate. It says the G3 can only go to 450 MHz. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ricky
The GameCube (GCN) has a 485 MHz proprietary G3 from Intel. In addition, it has a 125 MHz(?) graphics chip.

I have a GCN at home, I like it much :D

By the way, that chart is inaccurate. It says the G3 can only go to 450 MHz. :rolleyes:

From Intel? Huh.....

So by using the same chip as Macs, Nintendo has asked for a death wish ? Is the game cube going to go the same way as the Pippen ? :)

<to=xoot> What? </to>
does anybody here have a Pippen? how were they? I feel so deprived... I'm too young for this stuff :(

Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12
they didn't even ship in the USA... i think maybe a few sold over in Japan, but nothing large scale...

They were sold in Japan branded by Bandai.

The Gamecube processor is called the Gecko. It is like Ricky said a 485 MHz proprietary G3 from IBM. It has some major changes though to make it more efficient with graphics. I read an interview with the members of IBM who worked on it, saying that the Gecko has some pretty amazing (for a console) FLOPS? (floating point) calculation stuff going on in it. The graphic processor is by ATI, but it was made by ART X. Then ATI bought them out and marketed the processor under the ATI name. ART X was a break off group of SGI. SGI had worked with Nintendo on the Nintendo 64.

As or the Gamecube going the way of the Pippin, probably not. That would be more likely to happen with the X-box (if Microsoft was ok with losing so much money on it). Redherring.com reported that Microsoft lost 7.4 million dollars on the X-box last fiscal year. And they also reported that they are expected to lose 1.1 billion the next fiscal year on the X-box. Due to a very very poor showing in Europe and Japan.

Matthew

:: inlineguy.com ::

Originally posted by Nummi_G4
So by using the same chip as Macs, Nintendo has asked for a death wish ? Is the game cube going to go the same way as the Pippen ? :)

i think that what processor the console uses is pretty irrelevant to the success of the console. the PPC processor is a low power chip very common in several embedded devices, and has been very successful in cisco routers.

the single most important factor for a successful console, is making hit games available for that platform. i don t know what the pippen is, or what happened to it, but the choice of PPC as a processor for gamecube is likely to have no bearing on its success.

PPC is a very refined, well respected processor. just because it cannot reach the clock speed of the pentium, does not make it a great choice for a scaled down device like a game console.

to lonny: this is really just a semantic point, but let me say that a emulator is always possible. for example, a PC emulator exists for mac (Virtual PC), and it does not use the same processor. so no matter what processor gamecube used, an emulator would always be an option.

what you are talking about is a virtual machine. that is what it is called when the machine hardware I/O is virtualized, but the processor code can still be run natively. it is much faster than emulation (this is what virtual PC for windows uses, unlike Virtual PC for mac). so theoretically, a virtualised gamecube for mac could be written, and it would have much much better performance than any emulator.

here s hoping...!

I was just joking about the GameCube flopping because it uses the same chip as a Mac. I meant it like: You are cursed for using something Mac.

And about the Pippen. Apple was screwed in the first place. Why the heck would you team up with Bandai?

Originally posted by Nummi_G4
I was just joking about the GameCube flopping because it uses the same chip as a Mac. I meant it like: You are cursed for using something Mac.

And about the Pippen. Apple was screwed in the first place. Why the heck would you team up with Bandai?

Because Bandai is one the biggest toys/games company in Japan. The market the Pippin was released in.

Back