Getting a G4 Cube!

Been looking for one around, but almost conceded and bought something new ... but hey, looks like i got one ...

G4 500Mhz
384Mb RAM
GeForce 2MX
20Gb
CDRW

...ok the specs aren't so brilliant, but it has the look, and now gives me some money to upgrade it! ... 1st things 1st, RAM ... and who knows what next?! ... gotta order a 17" Studio Display to complement it now ...

is it wrong, to feel excited?! *blush*

NeYo

dont get a cube. it wont be much of an upgrade from your 500MHz iBook. i've owned one, trust me. i can go into reasons later but at the moment im on my way some where.

actually, i have a few minutes so ill go onto explain.

even though the cube has no internal fan, it isnt silent. the HD and DVD drive are noisy. DVDs arent happy being played vertically, which creates vibration and noise. if your cube is on a hardwood desk, it'll vibrate like crazy.

the cube is HEAVY. its a pain in the ass to move around and moving it around you will be. why? because the ports are on the bottom and can not be accessed without putting the cube on its side or upside down.

the power switch sucks. its electro static activated so by brushing against it or putting your cube upside down while plugged it, it will turn your cube on or put it to sleep.

USB audio sucks. the pro speakers crackle and pop and lag due to the USB bus. there is also no audio in.

upgrading. RAM and airport is about it unless you want to take your cube apart. video card upgrades that will fit in your cube will run around $300. mind you these are old radeon and geforce3 cards, nothing current. CPU upgrades are around $800-$1000. trust me, you'll wish your cube wasnt 500MHz. you wont see much improvement over your iBook. any upgrade other than RAM or airport are about as difficult to do on a cube as they would be a notebook such as upgrade the HD. (yes, i know you cant upgrade the video card or CPU in a notebook)

more or less the cube seems way cool until you own one. its way over priced even today. youd be better off getting a 500MHz powermac for a lot cheaper.

Kick ass deal Neyo! Can't wait to see pics.

Uh kendall... don't spoil Neyo's fun... I'd trade my G4 Tower for a Cube if I didn't have the need for my internal drives...

- Casey

im not trying to spoil his fun. he asked in another thread what we thought about the cube and i decided to answer in this one instead.

I wouldnt be surprised if this system will be one of those rare collectors items at some stage simply because not many were sold.

keep it its probably going to be worth alot some day.

Originally posted by Quicksilver
I wouldnt be surprised if this system will be one of those rare collectors items at some stage simply because not many were sold.

keep it its probably going to be worth alot some day.
Like an Edsel?

like a NeXT Cube which there are far less of and which sell for around $200 currently when they were originally around $7000.

im sure an '86 buick will be worth a fortune some day but i wouldnt hold my breath. :p

:( why caan't they bring back the g4 cubes? they were awesome, i almost got one! how come they can do this with laptops and not computers??? hmm... maybe i should just buy a laptop lol

** bump ** ... should be a matter of a Couple of days now! :D :D ... already had my 17" Studio Display since Saturday ... and a funky new USB (DSL) Modem ... AND ... i sold my Sluggish iBook!

i want m Cube, this redundant studio display is frustrating!!

Neyo

Originally posted by Ricky
Might want to update your sig a bit, NeYo. :)

*Bump* ... its been Shipped! ... so yes Ricky, i feel safe in saying, i can now update my sig, and NOT tempt Fate! ... But if UPS lose it, or something, i will hold u PERSONALLY responsible! ;)

NeYo

MAN! i need to get off this CRAPPY PeeCee! Ugh!!

Back