Hangs on Sleep

TuckerdogAVL

Registered
Quicksilver, 2002, 10.4.9, 933/1.5ram, printer/external harddrive/scanner/etc. The usual suspects. Recently, my computer will not go to sleep. The work-around had been, if I remember to close all my software - especially MAIL and SAFARI - turn off the printer, turn off the scanner, unplug the bluetooth D-link, turn off the external hard drive, turn off the external DVD burner, make sure iCHAT is closed, the computer would go to sleep. Now, this doesn't work.

I've loaded all the security updates, all the updates that come with 10.4.9. Poured over documents that talk about "isolating" the issue, which, of course, I have tried as I have noted above.

Any suggestions on anything else I could do other than disconnect everything? I guess I could unplug everything instead of just turning them off.... I already have to go through so much I might as well give up and just shut down....

The way it is now, is that after I do all the above....I end up having to hold the button in for a FORCE quit.

Any ideas?

I noticed you mentioned a scanner. Do you perhaps have a program that listens for the function buttons on the scanner (if it has them) that runs all the time? You may want to check your Startup Items in System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items

How do I get rid of these start up items? The choice to "hide" them doesn't eliminate them, does it? I have found it is starting up an old Printer app (That printer no longer exists), the mail, the iCAL alarm scheduler (I guess that would be good when I need it...will this just show up again if I set an alarm?), and ADOBE resource synchronizer (which I guess is something that looks for updates?), oh, and iTUNE helper.

I could get rid of all these by simply deleting them, correct? And, if I want them back, where are they hidden? I'm going to start by just deleting the old printer app for sure. Thanks for the tip...and any more in advance.

Back