Hardware problems??

I think I have hardware related problems. I switched OSes to 10.2.6 to 10.3 and my computer still has a major slowdown and basically freezes. When the computer is doing nothing, you can still hear it processing in the hardware.

Unfortunately, I don't have my Hardware CD that my Powerbook came with. Any suggestions?

The only way to fix those slowdowns is by tilting the laptop literally by like putting it upside down or something.

Get someone, either yourself or someone who really knows what (s)he is doing, to open it up and make sure everything is secure and to dust the machine out if necessary. If you can, borrow a diagnostics disc like Techtool Pro or Apple's CD. If nothing works, have it serviced.

Could be any number of things. You'll need to do a diagnostic with the Apple Hardware testing Cd, or Techtool Pro like Arden said.

I also suspect a failing hard drive. Do you have Diskwarrior available?

If you determine that your hard drive is actually failing, get another one to back up the current one, then you can repair or replace it.

Well, that 128 MB of RAM may be an issue. Have you tried creating a new Administrative user, to see if you still get the hard drive churning? I had a Sawtooth that churned and churned with the original user I created. I created a new user and found the problem disappeared when that new user logged in.

Eventually I traced the issue to bad prefs file(s), but I don't remember which ones; it was so long ago.

Oh, and DiskWarrior is always good to use; I would encourage you to buy a copy as soon as you can afford it.

Why, bob, why? This is a hardware issue; it has nothing to do with Panther.

Seriously, why did you move this thread?

Back