Haunted MBP?

Harp

Raised by wolves
Hehe, I wonder if anyone has a scientific explanation for this...

I just moved into a new apartment and in the last few days that I've lived here, I've noticed that during restart, the system freezes at the blue screen. Now, when I do a hard shutdown from there it seems that for about 10 seconds my cpu picks up a spanish radio station and plays it until the signal slowly fades out. I have no idea what's causing this and I've never seen or heard anything about this until now.

I would maybe feel better if I could understand Spanish.

Check your Airport and/or wireless setup. It seems like this radio station is overdriving and your wireless is picking up the signal.

I don't even have my airport turned on. I'm plugged straight in. Plus the cpu's already completely turned off when this happens (right when the screen goes black).

hmmm... I haven't tested it in other areas yet, but I have noticed that when it's really quiet and I have my ear directly on the speaker I can hear the station constantly. I have yet to listen to it long enough for a station ID.

on the bright side, the restart issue seems to have cleared itself up.

Oooh, here's an interesting developement:

I've just noticed that when I plug the headphone jack for my external speakers in only part of the way (just barely enough to make a connection) I can pick up the station in full volume - along with that bassy connection buzz.

This is not a very good station. It sounds like cheezy latin rock anthems.

If you twist the plug, can you pick up NPR? :D
It sounds like you may have a grounding issue. Does it happen when the adaptor is not plugged in?
Does it happen only when the ethernet cable is plugged in? Try a new shielded ethernet cable. After that, what access do you have to the wiring for ethernet or access to the router? You could try connecting the ethernet cable directly to the router to see if it's wiring in the walls...

I'm hearing something strange now that sounds like multiple loops of the same audio sample - some of them playing in reverse - where a guy is saying something about "I called this meeting today to..." and "...it's the same." and those are the only parts I can understand. The samples loop every 10 seconds or so.

I had the misfortune of talking to Mac support recently (god forbid) and asked the tech about this situation. He explained to me something about poor insulation in the external speakers. What I can't understand is what signal I would be picking up that plays multiple forward and reverse loops of this guy talking about his meeting.

Science is a mystery to man.

Hey, that's what YouTube is for..

That's quite a weird thing you've got going there.. it must be that you're close to a station, or someone who blasts spanish music on a transmitter.

You could always use external speakers, if it really irks you.

I'd ground it, and try it in a different area, too.

Don't fell to bad. I knew a girl that lived just down a hill from 8 different radio towers (about 3 city blocks on a small hill in the middle of the city). She could get several different radio stations through her microwave, hair dryer and strangely enough the water pipes in her bathroom.

She talked about guys getting freaked out when she brought them to her home. She then moved out after a couple of years, then moved into a supposed haunted house.:eek: She then moved out of there in 3 months. I have lost touch with her over the years (moved to different city) but I hope she has better luck these days where she lives.

So count yourself lucky and get a hold of an electrician to check out the wiring in your place. Because if you are hearing this radio station, it could be clue to some screwed up in your house wiring.

Don't fell to bad. I knew a girl that lived just down a hill from 8 different radio towers (about 3 city blocks on a small hill in the middle of the city). She could get several different radio stations through her microwave, hair dryer and strangely enough the water pipes in her bathroom.

How is that even possible? :eek:

Your microwave, pipes and hair dryer have no means of converting radio waves into sound.

How is that even possible? :eek:

Your microwave, pipes and hair dryer have no means of converting radio waves into sound.

The wire in the devices can pick up strong enough radio waves. The microwave was the funnist. Once the beep would go off (at the end of heating) you would hear the radio station for about 3 seconds. We all kept telling her that she would probably get some kind of cancer before she was 50 from those radio waves.

I would love to pick up radio stations from my water pipes. Then I'd feel all Ghostbusters 2 when I took a shower.

And speaking of my apt's wiring, I've since learned that ALL of my electricity (except a closet bulb) is on ONE circuit. This, to me, is hilariously insane. Way to go Los Angeles.
I trip the circuit almost daily.

I love this thread. Electricity and water and hairdryers are so incredibly interesting when they can convert radio frequencies into audible sound...? Whoo. Go phenomenon.

I'm still trying to piece together why the clip loops at 10 seconds and why it plays backwards. Could this possibly be a result of reversed electrical current? That would make the most sense to me. It's still really creepy, though, as we really don't know at this point how the sound is being picked up and transformed.

(BTW) What the hell's with this extremely important solitary closet lightbulb?

The closet bulb is probably on a landlord circuit - at least that's my guess. Who knows. Maybe I'll leave it on and see if my bill goes up.

It's so you can hide in there for a long time if the nazis ever take over.

Also I've found that the light over my bathroom sink is on yet another circuit. I don't know what they were on when they wired this place, but the sink light has saved me before when the circuit blew while I was in the shower. Hehe, it's good to know that they at least had a contingency plan.

I'll tell you, people call me on the phone I'm trying to avoid. Now, can the people on TV see me, or am I just paranoid?

I always feel like somebody's watching me. And I have no privacy.

Doug

Back