Help Emergency

stevenyc

Registered
Had to unplug the network cable on my Mac server this morning for five seconds. First no one could connect. I rebooted and now only ten Mac users can. Windows users are ok, but the Macs are limited all of a sudden. How do I fix this?

Open Server Admin and look at the "Settings" tab for the AFP service. There's an option there for controlling the "Maximum Connections". It may have ben reset to 10. If it's not on ten, set it to ten, click apply then set it back to Unlimited or whatever number you want and click apply again.

Rebooting a second time fixed it, but is this behavior normal? I can't believe quickly unplugging/plugging a cat5 cable would blow up a server like this. I'm running 10.3.9

Well, lets keep things in context. The server was still running and a reboot fixed the issue. So, "blowing up" isn't germain. Trust me, when you experience a 'blow up' you will know. No reboot/loss of all date/small mother board fire - all not fun.

Anyway - how old is your server? I have seen on older Compaq (win NT) servers that if there is a loss of network connectivity - the server must be cold booted. (shut down - unplugged - restarted)

But you are right, it could be an OS version issue as well. Just one of those things that you should keep in your 'admin pocket' for later use.

Back