Help, I've fallen and I'm losing Drive Space...

buc99

Don't Tread on Me!
Anyone-

I seem to be losing space on my harddrive for no reason. This is on my mac that acts as a webserver and is constantly connected to the internet. Nothing obvious in the logs. But when I run top, there is an MP3server running under root. I do not know how to reclaim the lost space but I turned off the server. I'm at my wits end trying to figure out how to fix this and am ready to wipe this drive and re-install. But first I thought I would ask everyone in case someone had an idea of what is going on and how to fix it.

I do not believe it is hacked because the problem is limited to the one partition. I have a total of 6.99GB on this drive with only 216kb available and it is running 10.2.6.

Thanks.::alien::
SA

One thing you should definitely do is disable file indexing and delete the existing indexes.

1. Open the Finder's Preferences.
2. Click the "Select..." button at the bottom.
3. Uncheck all the languages.

Another thing to do is run the program "Monolingual," which removes all extra language resources.

Next open the Terminal and look in the /var/tmp directory. There you may find a bunch of files left over from running installers. These can be deleted.

Likewise the logs in /var/log/httpd folder can get pretty huge. You should delete these, and if you have the expertise you should install a cron job on your system to roll these logs on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.

There are a number of other things you can delete from your system to thin it out. Perhaps some others will post those, but I gotta run!

Run MacJanitor, as it cleans up all the stuff OS X does at night that it might not be doing (don't know why it wouldn't, if you run a server and keep it on all the time, but hey).

have you restarted recently? I've been having disk full errors lately but it's because of my /var/vm file (virtual memory). Restarting clears that up so maybe you should try that?

Also, Omni makes a program called disksweeper which is pretty good for finding large unused files.

Back