Help - macs can't see each other in network.

lockedragnarok

Registered
I have a network of around 13 emacs, they're connected via ethernet to a router with a dhcp server. The emacs can browse the internet without problems, however they can't see each other in the network. I have activated the filesharing service, checked the permissions, but I still can't get them to see each other, what can I do to solve this issue?

Thanks!

Can you connect via AFP (file sharing) from one computer to another using the computer's IP address?

Is there a reason those computers are running 10.4.2, and not the latest 10.4.11 update?

No, I can't. I can ping one machine from another, but I can't get them to connect, either manually, or by the network option.

They're not updated to 10.4.11 mostly because I haven't got around to. I started working in the place a week ago, and I'm still fixing stuff that the previous sysad left broken.

Ok, got time for a little experiment?

Grab the IP address of a Mac on the network that has file-sharing enabled.

On another Mac, do a "Connect to Server..." (command-k) and type in:
Code:
afp://ipaddress
...where "ipaddress" is the IP address of the remote Mac in the first step. For example, if Mac #1 with file-sharing enabled has IP 192.168.0.101, then enter, on another Mac:
Code:
afp://192.168.0.101
What dialog boxes, error messages, or other messages do you see?

I'm not at work atm, but I'll do that tomorrow and I'll post the whole process, along with the pings and arp stuff I did this morning.

Back