Help Me! Mac Os X Gets Faster And Faster!

Alexandert

gonneawaycameback
:rolleyes: :D :) :p ;) :eek:

No joke. Today I saw the 6th thread in 2 days that says that OS X is so slow and gets slower and slower! I just wanted to post what happens to me with os X. It gets faster and faster!:eek:

Don't know why but it is as I said. Sure I did update prebinding but it just gets faster!

I F"§&%$" LOVE OS X!

More slow downs:

1) Open every MS Office app, including MSN Messenger
1a) Optional: Use classic versions of the Office apps, because you refuse to pay the outrageous upgrade fee.

2) To slow down web browsing, specifically, make your default browser "Internet Explorer"

A couple more handy tips for keeping your system as bogged down as possible:
1) Always run Classic. Make sure you have every "cool" extension/control panel/whatever that you can find installed into your Classic System Folder as well.
2)Download the seti@home program and run it constantly, not only as a screensaver. Then get the Darwin terminal-only version and run that constantly at the same time.
3)If you have a LAN connecting other computers in your home, mount their hard drives on your machine and set up an AppleScript or something that will constantly copy large (100mb+) files back and forth between the computers. To reallly throw it off for a few minutes, randomly unplug your ethernet cable or force-restart the other machine, that will definately give you the spinning ball of death for a good few minuteswhile your computer takes its sweet time to figure out what happened.
4)Run VirtualPC with WindowsXP, all the time.

That's all I can come up with for now, I'm sure you guys can get some more :D

and i guess it's pretty obvious, but maybe some people might not think so - never run any type of disk repair beyond what osx does at startup after a forced reboot. any attempts to diagnose, repair, defragment and optimize will potentially negate all the preceding tricks. you should be getting close to a complete halt when you can hear the sound of your HD thrashing above the cd you are listening to.

of course if you have used klink's method, you can start all over again with your next mac:D

Now, you only have to plug your iPod, play its music through iTunes and then, without warning, remove it.
You could always open your iDisk too

find any ftp site you can. click and drag your little "Macintosh HD" icon over to their ftp in your favorite ftp program. be sure that this ftp is high speed.
while uploading at around 300/400k, see if you can get a friend of yours to ftp his HD to your ftp.
that usually does the trick for me ^_^.

Thought of a couple more:
1) Restart in the middle of updating your prebindings
2) Boot off a 10.0.x CD and install that over the top of your 10.1.x system, guaranteed kernel panic!

I'm sick of the way these damn Apple computers never crash. I've been running mine constantly for four months without a restart or freeze-up of any kind. It just isn't a proper computer if it doesn't have a Blue-Screen of Death once a day.
I've found running it over with a motor-scooter to be a pretty effective method for making the thing stop.

Thought of more, I think I'm getting too good at this :D
1) Make sure Sherlock is constantly indexing your hard drive, never know when that might be useful... *cough*
2) Unfold an all-metal paperclip. Place one end into a FireWire port. Bend the paperclip and insert the other end into a USB port. You may even get a free fireworks show for the kids! Whee!
3) Go to your refridgerator and take off all your magnets. Decorate the internal components of your G4 and your monitor with them.

Ed, this app is great. I was tired having a perfect song with my altec lansing. At least, people can come in my office now and ask what's wrong with my sound. Thanks so much.

Symphonix : it's a pity you have an iBook. However, I could have advice you to buy three different RAM of three different bad types, and run them and changing the order until you find the one which will offer you a good kernel.

Is there really nothing easy to advice to a poor iBook owner like you ? Yes ! May be you could try to delocate your sawp file into a external FW HD, or, better, an iPod, and then unplug it. If it still doesn't work, replug and unplug until it scores.

WOW...thanks guys! I've been wondering what the heck was wrong with my powerbook...sheesh, shows how much of a newb I am to OSX :eek:

This thing was running way too fast on a G3...it was just unnatural. I mean what's the use of having all these awesome icons in your dock if you don't get to see them bounce for a minute or two? Look at all the pretty colors bouncin...:cool:

What would I do without experts like ya'l?l :D

N o w m y s y s t e m i s r u n n i n g a t j u s t t h e r i g h t s p e e d .

•Use only list view, and make sure that you don't have many subdirectories. Put all your files in the same folder and navigate with list view.

•Open a few Quicktime movies, set them to play in a loop, and then play the all at once. Then minimize them all into the dock. You get to watch them play in the dock, too, a neat trick.

•Use a modem connnection. Leave your computer on all the time, so that the memory gets fragmented. Now connect and disconnect to the internet. Repeat as needed for frequent hangs and freezes. Do not reboot.

•Throw out any sneakypeeks of OW you have, and set the default browser to IE. Open IE. Browse with it. System slows down very nicely.

•Renice the finder to +19. Enjoy.

•remove your dual 1 GHz cpu daughter card and send it to me. I'll send you my G4 400 MHz daughtercard. :)

Back