Help my Panther is crippled

mr. k

Registered
Hey guys, I had some bad luck tonight and while I was installing software update (fot isync, keynote, and security update) my mac froze up hard and required a reboot.
But evidently the mac froze while it was writing a very important file, a dependency of loginwindow.app. So guess what? I can't get beyond single user mode!
Here is a log of what actually happens when the startup process tries to call loginwindow.app:
-------------------------------------------
... system crash log error header ...
Link (dyld) error:

dyld: /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow truncated or malformed library: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Admin (file is empty)
-----------------------------------------
Now the two things I can imagine could help me replace this file are mounting the panther cd from darwin [mount -t [type (cd9660)] /dev/disk1 /cdrom] or running software update from the command line [softwareupdate].
The syntax won't work to mount the cd, and I can't find any really good documentation other then the man page for mount - but I think that the above should work. If anyone has any great ideas how I could mount my install cd and recover the file from there that would be great.
I could also use software update maybe to finish the update that was in the middle of being installed, but for some reason my internet settings aren't taking effect in single user mode. ifconfig shows the loopback interface and a few oddball ones, but no en0. ifconfig en0 create inet doesn't work to create the ethernet interface, and without the interface being there I can't use ifconfig to configure it.
So short of reinstalling panther is there anything I can do to get this file back and be able to boot up? Any help you guys could provide would be great, thanks!

Back